Director, Philanthropy Engagement Mississauga, ON, Canada
Position: Director, Philanthropy Engagement
Reports to: Vice President, Philanthropy & Partnerships
Position Term: Full time permanent
Deadline: Until filled
The Director, Philanthropy Engagement will lead the strategy, team and relationships that will drive capacity, revenue growth through Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Foundations and Middle Donor teams. The incumbent will set strategic direction and establish priorities for a high-performance team of front-line fundraisers nationally. They will work collaboratively and synergistically alongside the Director, Philanthropy Enablement Services and other teams in World Vision to ensure that the Philanthropy teams are equipped for success and can spend 80% of their time engaging directly with donors. The role will have engagement with top-tier prospects and high net worth donors and as needed large corporations and foundations. In addition to this being a strategic role focused on readying and equipping the fundraising team and the Executive office for accelerated revenue growth and enhanced donor long-term philanthropic support. This Director role will report to the Vice President of Philanthropy & Partnerships on the Senior Leadership Team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide energetic leadership to the development of new fundraising and stewardship approaches and tactics to achieve our long-term organizational revenue growth objectives.
- Provide strategic and motivating leadership to our philanthropy teams, specifically Middle, Major and Legacy teams, to ensure revenue growth while safeguarding for cost effective impact and internal compliance adherence.
- Collaboratively oversee and personally develop key donor relationships nationally in order to strengthen and grow the long-term donations as well as secondarily engagement and voluntarism.
- Provide leadership to formation and management of volunteer committees for the purpose of principal gift fundraising, HNW and high-profile affinity groups.
- Grow High Net Worth opportunities ($100k+) through championing the major gifts strategy through the Executive Office
- Act as the official liaison from Philanthropy to the Governance Community, working closely with key staff in EXO, to staff the CEO and VP, Philanthropy and Partnerships
- Identify ways to accelerate Legacy donations through a variety of planned giving offerings and channels and offer diversification with agreement with Finance and the Board
- Expand the Middle Donor program with a focus on moves management to grow the donor pipeline for the Major Gifts and Planned Giving teams
- Work collaboratively with the Corporate Engagement and Foundations teams to input on best practice engagement approaches, prospect clearance and opportunistically bring in new leads.
- In collaboration with other subject matter experts provide input into the marketing, digital and IT processes for customized proposals and impact reports, case statements and solicitation materials development, as needed
- Develop/steward, monitor and improve designated revenue-generating programs aligned with business unit objectives, key results, and that contribute to annual and long-term organization-wide objectives.; lead Philanthropy team on emergency appeal fundraising
- Participate, alongside the Director, Philanthropy Enablement, in global philanthropy discussions, specifically related to fulfilling Strategic Initiative 4.5.
- Together with Prospect & Pipeline Development team, ensure that Philanthropy Advisor donor pools are balanced and movements between teams in alignment with the prospect clearance process. The prospect clearance process is a mutually agreed process by all the leaders within the business unit and with input from other leaders across the organization, as required.
- Work collaboratively with Director, Philanthropy Enablement Services with the annual plans and regular updates on revenue and expenses, budget and forecasts, and to ensure market facing advisors are equipped with research, predictive modeling, prospects, stewardship and operational support
- Recruit and provide professional development training to ensure the philanthropy teams are equipped to perform at the highest of fund-raising standards using industry best practices with ease
- Reputation for a high degree of integrity and trustworthiness and collaboration
- Over 10 years of proven experience in leading and motivating teams focused on fundraising, sales, relationship management and working with large clients in a results-driven capacity
- Personal experience cultivating and closing large, transformational gifts and successfully managing relationships over time with major donors and senior volunteers
- Extensive knowledge of Canadian fundraising trends, methods and principles
- Significant experience leading capital campaigns, annual fund-raising campaigns and managing a pipeline of philanthropic opportunities.
- Demonstrated capacity to set strategy, oversee implementation and drive growth all along the donor giving continuum and across asset offerings
- Demonstrated success in crafting and closing large, multi-year and corporate solicitations
- Demonstrated success in working with volunteer committees and campaign cabinets
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills to work effectively with senior volunteers
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) certification
Demonstrated skills include:
- Ability to provide spiritual leadership through devotions, prayer, discernment and wisdom; experience in a Christian ministry leadership capacity
- Strategic, big picture thinker with a superior ability to develop innovative solutions and cost efficient processes
- High energy, enthusiasm and a demonstrated ability to work professionally and effectively under pressure
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills to work effectively with senior leaders, board members, high net worth donors and volunteers
- Results-driven, hard-working and always focused on continuous improvement.
- Strong client, customer or donor service orientation and superior communications skills including oral/pubic speaking, written and listening
- Strong interpersonal skills: coaching, encouraging, motivating, negotiating, managing change, conflict resolution
- Strong analytical, planning skills: budgeting, operating plan development, business case development