Full Time Manager, Marketing Communications
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose Summary:
Reporting to the Divisional Secretary for Public Relations (DSPR), this Manager, Marketing Communications (MMC) will represent The Salvation Army at the divisional level by evaluating public attitudes and conducting other research and then using this information to develop and implement marketing and communications strategies that raise awareness and increase the depth of understanding of target audiences and establishes strong and lasting relationships and partnerships that support these efforts. This role conducts media interviews and disseminates information divisionally to increase revenue generation, provide public education messaging, and enhance awareness of the Christian mission, values and community outreach services of The Salvation Army. This Manager, Marketing Communications is responsible divisionally for media relations, crisis and issues management, publicity, and advertising. This role manages a team responsible for web, video, audio, creative design and written communications. The MMC will lend support as required to the areas of federal and provincial government relations, donor relations, and fund development. He/she provides direction, guidance, assistance and support to divisional public relations personnel related to these activities as required.
Supervision and Leadership:
- Give direct supervision to the marketing and communications team to ensure they are adequately trained and resourced to achieve maximum results
- Provide communications assistance and support to Federal and Provincial Government Liaison Offices
- Manage communications, marketing and media budgets
- Propose and participate in the development of divisional policies and protocols related to social media, public relations, media relations, advertising, crisis communications and brand recognition
- Provide direction, training, assistance and support to ministry unit leads for local PR initiatives or issues
- Participate in divisional events planning and management to determine how communications can contribute to the success of events
- Oversee the development of and distribution of publicity, promotional, and marketing materials and tools
- Provide opportunities for media training to personnel across the division
- Gauge public opinion and sentiment towards The Salvation Army and advise the Divisional Secretary for Public Relations of public concerns, interests and perceptions
- Proactively seek to raise the visibility and profile of The Salvation Army and promote its mission, values, and social services
- Maintain strong relationships and serve as key liaison with external public relations and communications consulting firms that assist in the development and implementation of key communications strategies by buying advertising from media companies and engaging with media to share news stories etc.
- Develop and deliver consistent key messages across all channels of communications
- Develop external communication channels
- Develop, implement, and maintain integrated social media strategies
- Maintain and enhance the reputation of The Salvation Army
- Support the fundraising efforts of the Development Department by ensuring integration of communications with key fundraising initiatives
- Proactively seek to raise awareness of activity within the Ontario division for salvationists, employees and volunteers
- Build and foster strong communication links with Divisional Leadership, Ministry Unit Leaders and other internal stakeholders in order to maintain an awareness of activities taking place across the division
- Develop and deliver consistent key messages to internal stakeholders in support of mission advancement in ministry units across the division
- Work in partnership with the Divisional Secretary for Volunteer Services to develop marketing and communications strategies to attract/ encourage new volunteers and develop key messages to support the advancement of this ministry
- Develop strong and relevant internal communications channels for the sharing of information
- Develop, implement and maintain integrated social media strategies specific to internal stakeholders
- Maintain and enhance the divisional community identity through the sharing of relevant information
- Support local initiatives through divisional communications channels
- Provide information releases and updates to divisional PR staff on matters of divisional, national or international interest
- Distribute relevant provincial, national and international information within the division as appropriate
Divisional Media Relations:
- Develop and oversee strong working relationships with local and area media
- Develop; recommend and implement approved divisional media strategies
- Distribute approved divisional press/media releases, press advisories and arrange press conferences as needed
- Support the DSPR and Territorial Headquarters (THQ) PR in the development of divisional crisis communications strategy
- Respond to local and area media inquiries as the DHQ first point of contact, supported by the Divisional Secretary for Public Relations
- Use local and area media opportunities to educate the public about the Christian mission, values and services of The Salvation Army
- Support and protect the reputation of The Salvation Army
- Support Emergency Disaster Services (EDS) during emergency situations which require pubic communication
- May be required to act as Public Information Officer during an ongoing emergency or disaster event
- Supervise team and vendors responsible for divisional marketing efforts that include web design and content, video, audio, staff writing and creative design
- Ensure consistency and integration of design elements, approach and messaging across all channels
- Working with THQ Communications, external advertising agencies, and in regular consultation with the Divisional Secretary for Public Relations, create advertising campaigns and materials with appropriate messages that facilitate supporting The Salvation Army
- Develop a strong working relationship with THQ Communications and media outlets
- Develop and recommend a comprehensive marketing strategy and execute the approved strategy
- Work with THQ Communications Departments to review territorial research into donor attitudes and preferences with a view to building appropriate messages into advertising
- Communicate results of research with the DSPR and the divisional PR team in order to effectively utilize the research data
- Recommend ways to maximize the use of divisional advertising budget to ensure that campaign advertising is effective, timely and attractive to potential donors and is in sync with the direct mail and other messages
- Ensure that divisional advertising messages are consistent throughout the division, but also giving consideration to local and regional variations; Include feedback from regions in the development of advertising strategies and communicate divisional strategies to appropriate PR personnel
- Ensure that advertising messages reflect appropriate, ethical, and values-based messages
- Measure the success of each advertising campaign and use lessons learned to recommend improvements to future campaigns
- Experience in budget creation, monitoring, and evaluation
- 5+ years in communications management with people management experience; including 2 years minimum experience working in the Toronto media market
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strong creative skills
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and presentation skills
- Demonstrate ability to understand and think strategically; ability to execute plans and programs that drive profitable sales
- Integrates and balances big-picture concerns with day-to-day activities. Evaluates and pursues initiatives and opportunities based on their fit with broader strategies. Stays abreast of key competitor actions and their implications or threats to the business
- Promotes teamwork
- Understands and interpret financial results and analysis and develop appropriate recommendations
- Proven ability to develop and grow staff
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment across all levels throughout the organization; can thrive in a complicated, fast-paced environment
- Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports innovation; leverages fresh perspectives, breakthrough ideas, and to create value in the market
- Able to analyze market and performance data with strong knowledge of marketing metrics
- Excellent project management skills with a proven ability to juggle multiple projects and deliverables at once
- Attention to detail in improving key marketing metrics and making data-driven decisions
- An exceptional team player, collaborator, and influencer with proven ability to mentor and drive change through ideas, cross-organizational relationships, and action
- Budget management skills
- Respect, understanding, and ability and willingness to support, promote, and grow The Salvation Army’s mission, culture, and values
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear criminal record check
- A clean drivers abstract
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
HOURS: 40 hours per week
SALARY: $56,890- $80,000 per year
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications