- Brock University
- St. Catharines
- Target Hiring Range $100,000 - $110,000
- Job Category
- Marketing & Communications
- Job Type
A Day in the Life…
Reporting to the AVP Advancement and External Relations, the Director, Marketing and Communications has senior oversight of University Marketing and Communications (UMC) to consistently and comprehensively lead the University's branding, marketing, digital communication and communication strategies. The Director is responsible for brand development and promotion, digital and social media strategy, internal and external communications, issues management and effective crisis communications. The Director leads a highly-accomplished team to advance the University's mission and goals and its Strategic Plan, while promoting the University to local, provincial, national and international audiences. The Director is a member of the Senior Management team in University Advancement and External Relations, and works with the University President, Vice-Presidents, Deans and with faculty, staff and students to set and exceed measurable goals and objectives.
As the Director, Marketing and Communications, you will:
- Serve as the marketing and brand authority for the University (the senior subject matter expert) providing executive leadership on brand and marketing policy decision-making and implementation, providing advice to university leadership, various senior committees and to marketing/communications staff in Faculties and administrative departments;
- Play a leadership role in the renewal and refreshing of the University brand
- Manage the University's creative brand expressions, and provide direction while supporting marketing activities and brand expression by marketing/ communications staff in Faculties and departments across the University
- Provide advice on strategy for creative programs; advise/direct staff on implementing client account management, graphic design, writing/editing, photography, videography, web marketing (including social and multi-media)
- Build strategies, plans and actions that increase the University's regional, national and international profile; shape and lead a progressive communications and media relations team that elevates the University's reputation as a centre of academic and research excellence
- Work across the University with senior leaders providing communications support as we advance the University's strategic priorities.
- Serve as Communications lead on the University Emergency Management Group during campus emergencies or situations of high alert, to advise the President and other senior officials on internal/external communications and on public messaging strategies;
- Lead the University’s digital communications teams, helping to develop online and social media strategies to advance objectives and goals
- Ensure Brock’s digital offerings (web, social media, digital communications) reflect the brand positioning and communications
- Coach and support Communications and Marketing staff to ensure timely delivery of accurate, engaging reports of exceptional quality to the Brock community through the University website, the Brock News, social media pages, Brock portal and email
- Represent Brock University to external partners: build partnerships with the community where appropriate (e.g. Niagara College, Niagara Economic Development, advertising and promotional partners, etc.) and sits on partnership committees to further the objectives of the University
- Oversee the UMC's human resources budget (e.g. salaries, professional development) as well as institutional marketing , recruiting marketing and Web budget collaboration with others;
- Actively participate on University Advancement and External Relations Senior team with colleagues leading Development and Donor Relations, Alumni Relations and Advancement Services
What you Need to Succeed…
- A relevant university degree in marketing, digital communication, journalism or business, or related specialization.
- Demonstrated senior leadership experience in a dynamic workplace in a related industry or field.
- Prior Marketing and Communications experience
- Minimum 10 years of related workplace and management experience that required strategic planning as well as organizational, financial and human resource management.
- Demonstrated success as an effective communicator, creative thinker and team leader in a competitive, time-sensitive and quickly-changing professional environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of how to communicate effectively through various media platforms to wide audiences.
- Strong editing skills and content instincts, and an understanding of what constitutes impactful messaging.
- Understanding of readership/viewing habits, and of how consumers process information through different marketing toots and platforms
- An understanding of the news media’s content interests, staffing issues and deadlines, and how to coach staff to navigate those circumstances to get desired media attention.
- Proven performance in leading, developing and supporting staff.
- Extensive knowledge of marketing, advertising, media planning, integrated marketing communications and new media (social media, mobile apps, etc.
- Demonstrated experience writing compelling creative briefs and comprehensive integrated marketing communications (IMC) plans.
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills as well as face-to-face relationship building skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple, on-going, time sensitive priorities
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications
More search results
Manager, Communications and Marketing
Let's Talk Science
Vice President, Advancement and External Relations
Memorial University of Newfoundland
STEPS Public Art
External Communications Manager
Full Time Manager, Marketing Communications
The Salvation Army Ontario Divisional Headquarters