Director, Client Relations & Business Development
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, has an opening for an experienced professional to join the Client Relations & Marketing department as a Director, Client Relations & Business Development. This position is based in our Toronto office.
Reporting to the Chief Officer, Client Relations & Marketing, this position directs the business development, marketing and client relations activities of a mix of practice and industry group initiatives and drives new revenue-growth opportunities for the Firm.
The Director, Client Relations & Business Development must ensure the alignment of activities to the Firm’s broader strategic goals through regular communication and collaboration with other CR&BD Directors, management, Firm lawyers and other administrative departments.
Primary responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
Business Development and Lawyer Support
- Advise and collaborate with lawyers to identify, establish and execute strategies to maintain and grow existing client relationships, and manage and provide direction to key client teams while ensuring alignment with the Firm’s strategic goals
- Support the Firm’s lawyers in generating new opportunities and building relationships with international law firms and other referral sources. Understand and monitor client business through market research, news/key development alerts, business results (e.g., client revenue) and other sources of industry knowledge
- Collaborate with management, partners, the Proposals team, the Intelligence team and other BD colleagues to develop customized pitch materials, and draft responses to formal requests for proposals (RFPs) as needed
- Provide appropriate support to mobilize the efforts of Firm lawyers to pursue opportunities and track outcomes
- Collaborate with management, the Proposals team, the Intelligence team and other BD colleagues to support the development of new client accounts through customized pitch materials
- Develop and implement programs and protocols to enhance client relationship management through CRM standards
- Develop and deliver business development and relationship management training and educational programs in accordance with the Firm’s BD curriculum
- Implement metrics to monitor and measure return on investment from BD activities
- Collaborate with the Marketing & Communications team to create and maintain effective promotional materials and provide strategic direction on targeted profile-raising campaigns
- Provide strategic direction to the Events team and CRM team in the marketing, hosting and management of effective business development events
- Identify and advise on the operationalization of sponsorships, conference attendance and other similar business development and profile-building opportunities
- Provide strategic direction and support to the Media Relations and Digital (social media) teams with respect to identifying spokespeople, media training, proactive media pitches/story generation, campaigns and managing inbound opportunities
- Oversee ranking, directory and other submissions, including lawyer and client award nominations
- Provide training and facilitate regular internal meetings with team members to collaborate and drive forward business development and marketing initiatives, including identifying opportunities for involving other administrative groups and cross-office/cross-practice collaboration
- Ensure there are appropriate and well-maintained systems in place for business continuity, knowledge and document management
- Oversee respective BD financial objectives and budgets, and provide input on full department budget
- Bachelor’s degree in business/marketing or equivalent is required, along with a minimum of 10 years of BD experience
- Legal or professional marketing experience is preferred, as is an advanced degree; an LL.B. is an asset
- Bilingual capability is an asset
- Strong client-service orientation
- Strong business acumen and understanding of law firm operations and environment
- Excellent team management skills – ability to mentor and develop new team members
- Excellent written and verbal communication, organizational, time and project management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Superior writing and presentation skills
- Ability to adapt to multiple areas of law and various demands
- Creative thinker, with the ability to share and embrace new ideas
- Collaborating with peers from different cultural and educational backgrounds to share ideas
- Sound judgment
- Proficiency with technology and a willingness to learn and adapt to new technologies as required
- Ability to work independently and in a cross-functional team environment with multiple stakeholders
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your application with your cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we are all about our people. We are committed to not only providing exceptional client experiences, but also fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture for legal professionals and administrative professionals. As a winner of the Canada’s Best Diversity Employers award, as well as the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers award, we know that diversity and inclusion are not simply initiatives on the perimeter of our business — they are the core of our success. We understand the importance of cultivating an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a Firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications
More search results
Director, Undergraduate Marketing and Communicati…
Queen's University - Central Human Resources
Time Education Inc.
Product Manager - Chemicals
Integrated Marketing Communications Manager
University of Toronto
SVP, Marketing & Business Operations Toronto Blue…
Toronto Blue Jays