- Ontario Cabinet Office
- $90,348 - $132,514 per year
- Job ID 154079
- Job Category
- Marketing & Communications, New Media/Creative Arts/Writers
- Job Type
Are you a creative leader who can collaborate and deliver concrete results for complex, interesting problems? If you have a diverse skill set, can balance many responsibilities and want to work in an exciting, fast-paced environment, then look no further! The Marketing and Digital Strategy branch in Cabinet Office is looking for a strategic leader with experience in design, editorials and production to join our team as a Creative Director.
Town Hall Conference
We will be hosting a Town Hall via teleconference on Wednesday, September 9th from 6:00pm - 7:00pm and Tuesday, September 15th from 6:00pm - 7:00pm to provide more information on the position and address any inquires you may have.
If you are interested in attending, please complete the form and indicate your preferred date for the Town Hall.
Cabinet Office is the Premier's ministry. It provides the Premier and his Cabinet with advice and analysis to help the government achieve its priorities.
The Marketing and Digital Strategy team (MADS) works with our ministry partners to provide best-in-class marketing, social media, digital analytics and media buying for government programs and initiatives. For us, it's all about a people-centred approach, ensuring the people of Ontario are aware of and have access to the services they need. It's about inspiring change to help Ontarians understand the decisions they can make every day to make life safer, easier and inclusive.
The Ontario Public Service is committed to a diversity of identities, experiences, perspectives and skills. As part of this competition, we are conducting a voluntary survey to collect socio-demographic data to understand the experience of applicants as they move through the recruitment process, while also better understanding any potential barriers that may be experienced.
Your participation in the survey will contribute to efforts in building a more diverse, inclusive and accessible Ontario Public Service. Participation in this anonymous survey is voluntary.
Please visit the survey to learn more and/or to participate.
- Paid statutory holidays
- Pay in lieu of benefits with optional enrolment in our group benefit plan
- A defined benefit pension plan
- Flexible work arrangements
- Welcoming and professional work culture
- Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
The keys to leadership in the OPS
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) defines what it means to be a leader by the following expected attributes and behavioural competencies:
- You commit to the responsibilities of being a leader by demonstrating authenticity, accountability and courage
- You lead for the future by embracing positive disruption, maintaining a future mindset and by supporting staff development
- You are people-centred: you lead your team with a common purpose, are inclusive and drive people-centred outcomes by collaborating across boundaries and hierarchies, building effective networks and partnerships, and incorporating diverse perspectives
What can I expect to do in this role?
As the Creative Director, you will:
- Oversee the creative team, providing leadership, expertise and supporting employee development
- Lead and support the delivery of digital, social, and marketing campaigns
- Set the creative strategy and guidelines for Ontario Government marketing and communications campaigns, owning the creative process from brief to production
- Partner with Managing Director of Marketing & Digital Strategy to inform and manage the strategic direction and goals of all creative initiatives and output
- Oversee design, copy and video content production for all Ontario Government marketing campaigns and events (e.g. Premier’s tours, live streams)
- Present and recommend creative ideas and execution across the organization gaining alignment to direction while acting upon useful feedback and metrics
How do I qualify?
Leadership & Project Management Skills:
- Experience leading and mentoring teams, and managing resources and budgets
- Ability to work closely with senior leadership teams to provide advice on the development, and implementation of creative strategies
- Experience directing workflow through the entire lifecycle of a campaign from concept to completion
- Creative direction experience, including strong design, editorial and production skills across all channels
- Experience developing creative briefs and evaluating concepts / final executions
- Strong project management skills including developing project plans, establishing priorities, settling schedules, creating measurement reports and providing costs
Strategic Thinking & Analytical Skills:
- Ability to define and translate digital analytics into business insights to support decision-making and creative direction
- Strategic and lateral thinking skills to encourage collaboration across the team and organization, and alignment of branch strategies to the objectives of the Division/organization
- Ability to approach design problems and solutions with conceptual thinking, as well as the ability to forecast the scope and scale of projects and their correlating priorities
Interpersonal & Communication Skills:
- You have strong oral and written communication skills to consult with and brief a range of colleagues and partners including ministry partners, vendors, and senior management
- You have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with various internal stakeholders across a variety of functional areas
- Strong relationship management skills to liaise with senior Premier’s Office Staff on high priority and potentially sensitive projects
- You have demonstrated experience exercising tact, discretion and political acuity
- You have knowledge of design, media and communication trends/technologies and languages
- You have experience with a range of design software including the Abode Creative Suite of products and can produce print, event, social, digital, and online marketing products
- Knowledge of accessible design best practices and related legislation and guidelines (e.g. Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Government Advertising Act) to ensure developed materials and projects are in compliance
Inclusion and Accessibility
We recognize that everyone brings unique skills and experiences to the table and that not everyone “checks all the boxes”. Apply anyway! We believe that our differences are a form of talent, and each voice is valuable.
We proudly, passionately, and actively strive to make MADS more reflective and inclusive of the society that we serve. Our ability to deliver better public services can only be realized if we can engage with a diverse range of thoughts, experiences, and skills. We welcome applicants of all races, ethnicities, religion, sexual orientation, gender identities/expression, national origin, disabilities, and ages. We also work hard to create a psychologically-safe and inclusive working environment where employees are valued and have a sense of belonging.
Salary Range: $90,348 - $132,514 per year
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 18 months (with possibility of extension), 99 Wellesley Street West, Toronto, Toronto Region
- The successful candidate may be required to undergo a satisfactory criminal reference check prior to the commencement of employment.
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please submit your application (cover letter and resume) in one document (saved in the format “FirstName LastName” and not exceeding five pages), quoting “Creative Director Application” in the subject line, by Friday, September 25, 2020, to:
Please indicate in your application where you heard about this vacancy.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know.