- Queen's University- Smith School of Business
- Kingston, Ontraio
- Job Category
- Marketing & Communications
- Job Type
Smith School of Business
Smith School of Business at Queen’s University is renowned for its excellence, innovation and leadership in business education. From establishing the first undergraduate business degree a century ago to creating ground-breaking programs and courses in emerging areas including artificial intelligence, fintech, analytics, cultural diversity, team dynamics, social impact and more, Smith is at the forefront of preparing people for the business marketplace.
Smith’s continued growth and expansion of programs and offerings means its marketing and communications needs are diverse and dynamic. The in-house Marketing & Communications team manages a range of brand, promotion, launch, and customer engagement activities. We use digital marketing extensively, supplemented by traditional media uses.
Smith School of Business at Queen’s University is seeking a marketing professional who is extremely collaborative, and has a proven track record of developing creative solutions to meet a wide-variety of business objectives. Reporting to Smith’s Director of Marketing, the Marketing Manager will forge relationships across the school, work with departments who have unique challenges, and deliver innovative and effective marketing solutions to meet those challenges.
This role offers the opportunity to directly impact the success of one of the world’s leading business schools. The incumbent will be encouraged to be creative and try new things in this fast-pasted environment, and be willing to fail as they strive to innovate. Additionally, this role provides an opportunity to grow in scope, and our successful candidate will be the primary contributor to the direction it takes.
If you are an innovative marketing professional who likes working directly with clients, we encourage you to apply.
- Develop marketing strategies in support on various needs including taking briefs, defining target audiences, and articulating goals and tactical plans;
- Develop and manage marketing plans and schedules. Work with department staff, internal clients, and vendors to ensure they meet timelines for deliverables and that projects stay on track.
- Develop and manage dashboards and other reports to monitor program performance, and report to internal clients.
- Provide service to internal Smith clients to ensure marketing plans are aligned with business needs, while meeting expectations and goals, and for effective collaboration to generate desired outcomes. Liaise with internal clients to keep them abreast of progress, collect input, and report results.
- Ensure materials meet brand standards, internal standards, and best practices.
- Direct other Marketing & Communications staff and external vendors to deliver campaign components to high quality and desired outcomes. This includes “managing up”: needing to engage with senior staff to ensure they meet timelines and requirements for plans.
- Plan and implement a variety of marketing executions including digital and traditional advertising, search, social media and content, sponsorship activations, events and other tactics as required.
- Develop promotion strategies designed to maximize marketing programs.
- Manage project budgets, including reviewing all supplier estimates, reviewing all invoices prior to Director’s approval, and generating regular reports on expenditures.
- Determine content of presentations and reports of program progress and outcomes; evaluate and make recommendations for improvements and changes.
- University degree focused in Marketing and Communications or other related field.
- Several years (5+ minimum) of experience working in a marketing role and in a customer-focused communications environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of marketing strategy and best practices.
- Proven experience and understanding of best practices in a variety of marketing platforms including advertising, digital, search, and social.
- Proven strong experience in planning, management, analytics and reporting of marketing programs.
- Experience working with a variety of computer programs including MS Office, including Word, Excel Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Marketing writing skills would be considered an asset.
- Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Professional and polished personal presentation style.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, for both verbal and written with effective interactions with a wide variety of individuals including staff, faculty, and students.
- Outstanding planning and organization skills including creation of project plans, and oversight of multiple people to meet deliverables. Ability to adjust to changes and unexpected developments.
- Strong project management, organizational and time-management skills. Ability to prioritize among many competing demands and manage time and resources. Ability to multi-task and meet all needs in a prioritized and strategic fashion.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy, with an understanding of the repercussions of errors on the reputation and credibility of the business school and the University.
- Good strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to deliver on goals, timelines, and projects.
- Ability to work independently while keeping senior managers aware of progress or significant challenges.
- Strong orientation to deliver measurable outcomes that meet goals and objectives.
- Strong customer service skills: proven ability to respond quickly and professionally to a wide variety of constituents (senior staff, faculty, students, vendors and others.) Ability to interact professionally and effectively with people at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work well as part of a team – flexible, collegial, and outcome-oriented.
- Ability to develop tactical strategies from briefings, and assess merits of various marketing options.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple competing deadlines.
- Ability to determine how best to engage internal clients to ensure programs are on track and delivering results.
- Determine which stakeholders need to be consulted in arriving at marketing and communications decisions.
- Determine most efficient process in developing identified marketing and communication initiatives; provide recommendations as necessary.
- Determine what information is valuable for furthering marketing/communications objectives, in consultation with the Director.
- Decide how to balance time and priorities to ensure responsibilities are carried out effectively.
- Determine methods to assess effectiveness of marketing strategies, collect, analyze and evaluate feedback, and make recommendations for improvement.
- Assess the effectiveness of the various initiatives, report outcomes to the Director, and make recommendations for change.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications
More search results
Chartered Marketer Program: Senior Brand Coursew…
Canadian Marketing Association
Chartered Marketer Program: Senior Martech Cours…
Canadian Marketing Association
Product Marketing Manager
Lead Marketing Strategist
British Columbia Institute of Technology - 360570
Manager, Publicity & Social Media
Markham Public Library