Manager, Communications Operations and Events
- City of Markham
- Job Category
- Marketing & Communications
- Job Type
Manager, Communications Operations and Events
Play a vital leadership role on our Corporate Communications and Community Engagement team in the planning, management and on-time delivery of both corporate and third-party events involving a multitude of stakeholders. Reporting to the Senior Manager of the Department, you will bring a communications lens to all activities within your portfolio – from developing strategic event plans, to overseeing the implementation of communications plans for Markham’s corporate events. A savvy, persuasive communicator adept at dealing with complex issues, you will capably manage and strengthen relationships with senior executives of sponsor companies, local BIAs and other levels of government, senior City staff and communications staff, and liaise with the Mayor’s Office and Chief Administrative Office, to ensure all resources are in place to meet corporate and even goals. We will also count on you to develop policies for a variety of operational procedures, make recommendations on the implementation of By-laws governing all aspects of events, and assist senior manager in developing and executing the reporting framework for events, key corporate business initiatives and deliverables, including budgeting and departmental business planning.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (DELIVERABLES)
More specifically, as Manager, Communications Operations and Events, you will:
- Provide senior-level strategic support for all corporate events.
- Manage event staff, ensuring effective management and execution of events plan, logistics, relationship management, staff allocation, and more.
- Ensure effective management of Council and Executive expectations while being sensitive to resourcing, policies and financial implications.
- Manage corporate and third-party events, ensuring effective communication with all stakeholders, appropriate budget planning and reporting, adherence to event requirements, policies and timely delivery, and, in the case of third-party events, appropriate charge-back of fees to organizers.
- Work effectively with community and regional partners to ensure events meet safety, security and health requirements.
- Develop policies and procedures for events, advertising, sponsorships, protocols for ceremonies and special recognitions, and event-specific by-law governing event requirements, safety and liabilities.
- Manage recommendations and reporting on event grant allocation.
- Develop year-end reporting standards, including year-over-year comparisons.
- Work closely and seamlessly with the senior manager and communications advisor team to identify, manage and resolve issues.
- Act as the main contact with the Mayor’s Office and Council for all event-related activities.
Bring your expertise and passion for excellence to this role as Manager of Communications Operations and Events:
- You hold a university degree, preferably in marketing, communications, public affairs or policy development.
- Your track record of success includes 10 to 15 years in a communications environment, in the private or public sector, with experience writing and editing a variety of communications assets, in diverse styles.
- You have an extensive background in event management, with strong managerial and project management skills characterized by a focus on goals, metrics and reporting.
- You are knowledgeable about communication planning and best practices, and skilled in budget planning and reporting.
- With your high emotional intelligence, you excel at client relationship and people management.
- You are a strong presenter with proven political acumen and issues management experience, well equipped to become an effective, solutions-oriented member of the City management team.
- You understand the nature of the role and are prepared to provide event support after-hours and some weekends, meet needs during peak periods, and attend evening Council and Committee meetings.
- Social media expertise and previous work in a government environment would be advantageous.
The salary range for this permanent, full-time position is $108,324 to $127,486 per year.
The City of Markham, a municipality with more than 350,000 residents centrally located in the Greater Toronto Area, is home to over 400 corporate head offices and more than 1,100 high-tech and life science companies. Founded in the 1790s, today Markham is Canada’s most diverse community, and enjoys a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Markham has received the Excellence Canada Gold Award for Organizational Quality & Healthy Workplace, and multiple heritage and environmental awards. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices.
For more information on this Communications Operations and Events Manager position, and to apply online by Monday, January 28, 2019, please visit our website at markham.ca/jobs.
We are committed to inclusive employment practices.
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications