Position: Head of Marketing
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Start date: January 2019
Since 1969, Outward Bound Canada has made it our mission to cultivate resilience, leadership, connections and compassion, through inspiring and challenging journeys of self-discovery in the natural world. A not-for-profit, charitable, educational organization, Outward Bound Canada has challenged over 150,000 Canadians to step out of their comfort zone with our unique outdoor adventures. We pride ourselves on offering transformational journeys that encourage participants to push beyond their limits and discover their true potential.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking a strategic marketing leader to help us fuel significant growth in our organization over the next several years. Your role will be to develop and implement an innovative and engaging marketing strategy that will help us to exceed our objectives in both philanthropic giving and “fee for service” (commercial) offerings. Through this work, you will galvanize the support of both internal and external stakeholders. You will lead a small, but mighty team made up of two other full-time employees, and work with an external support team made up of agencies and freelancers.
The ideal candidate will have values aligned philosophically with the values of the organization, and will understand the significant societal impact of Outward Bound’s work. As noted above, there is potential for the right person in this role to make a significant contribution to the ongoing development and success of Outward Bound Canada both now and into the future.
Here is what you bring
We are looking for a strategic thinker who can set priorities and pull down to tactical execution as necessary. The ideal candidate must have 5+ years of professional experience and proven leadership of the marketing strategies and activities of an organization.
You are a passionate, articulate, and driven individual with the capacity to plan and coordinate a variety of concurrent projects and meet deadlines. A minimum Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline is required, and prior professional experience in educational and/or non-profit institutions is preferred.
Team fit is very important in this close-knit organization, so we are looking for someone who builds strong relations and fosters a positive work environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and implement a highly effective marketing plan to support Outward Bound Canada’s strategic objectives
- Manage the OBC Marketing and Communications team
- Develop branding, marketing and communications strategies that achieve and/or support OBC’s strategic priorities
- Liaise with key stakeholders for OBC including board members, donors, supporters, partners, volunteers, media and suppliers to align priorities, seek support and endorsement, leverage collaboration
- Advance marketing and communications strategies for events, donor-centered communications, direct marketing initiatives, fund-raising objectives, cultivation activities, etc.
- Ensure staff across the organization have quality materials that support OBC’s strategic plan and ensure OBC achieves its overall revenue generation goals
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
Outward Bound Canada is an organization driven by the values of its people, so experience in managing a values-driven organization will be considered a strong asset.
- Strategic Vision and Agility – ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan;
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment;
- Leadership and Organization – proven capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, and develop and empower leaders;
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary;
- Proven success and a strong background in digital marketing and direct marketing, including email marketing, content, SEO, paid search and social (paid and organic);
- Solid understanding of data, metrics and analytics and their use in informing strategies and driving decision-making
- Educated to post-secondary level degree or equivalent;
- 5 to 10 years of experience working in marketing role at a management level; ideally related to experiential education, training and development, outdoor learning or similar;
- Sector specific knowledge of the Educational/School markets and associated funding streams considered an asset;
- Experience delivering against revenue and product quality targets in a service environment;
- Effective communicator with excellent written, verbal and inter-personal skills
- Commercial acumen and creativity, with strong negotiation skills;
- Good financial acumen, digitally savvy, loves data, and adept in CRM usage (e.g. Salesforce) and other day to day SaaS tools.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a growing, highly respected organization. OBC is prepared to offer an attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary as well as health and vacation benefits.
READY TO APPLY?
Please send cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
Application deadline: November 30, 2018
Outward Bound Canada sees strength and value in diversity and is committed to employing staff from varying backgrounds, cultures and life experiences. Candidate experience, background and cultural connection will be considered in each application.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications