The Town of Newmarket, Recreation & Culture Services Requires a Recreation Programmer – Special Events Contract 24 Months (35 hours per week)
The growing community of Newmarket is home to 90,000 people and located 40 minutes north of Toronto, in York Region. As one of the most densely populated communities in Ontario, Newmarket may be small in area, but BIG things are happening there. From the transformation of a community landmark, the Mulock Property, into Newmarket’s very own Central Park to the renewal of the urban corridors to make them even more eclectic, vibrant, livable, and lovable – the Town of Newmarket is always looking forward.
We offer and value flexibility to support work/life integration and wellbeing, including flextime, compressed workweeks, and hybrid work. As we move forward from the pandemic, Newmarket is committed to evolving, growing, and trying new approaches, all while creating an environment for extraordinary public service.
Who are we looking for?
Under the direction of the Manager, Marketing, Sponsorship & Special Events, the Recreation Programmer – Special Events is responsible for the planning, development, implementation, administration, promotion, and operation of Town special events, and the supervision, training, and evaluation of part time staff in compliance with Town of Newmarket Corporate Policies and Bylaws and applicable legislations. This position also fosters relationships with public and private partners, community groups, and associations, with an emphasis on maximizing utilization of municipal recreational facilities.
How do I qualify?
- Post secondary diploma in the recreation field combined with progressive experience in recreation programming for all ages and abilities or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with the various pieces of legislation that govern bookings and special events including, but not limited to Occupational Health and Safety legislation, Alcohol and Gaming Commission, Liquor Control Board, Public Health Act, Corporate Standards bylaw, Municipal Alcohol Policy and Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
- Working knowledge of Parks and Recreation Ontario (PRO), Festivals and Events Ontario, Chamber of Commerce, Provincial Sport Organizations (PSO), National Sport Organizations (NSO), Central Counties Tourism, community event planning and administration models and best practices, municipal recreation and culture program/service delivery.
- Demonstrated effective leadership in planning/programming to the supervisory level.
- Strong customer service skills with an ability to maintain composure regardless of the demands of the environment.
- Experience in writing concise reports and presentation of oral submissions.
- Excellent interpersonal, public relations, organizational and supervisory skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Working knowledge of various computer systems related to report preparation, spreadsheet applications, graphics, registration systems, contract development, financial reconciliation, scheduling systems and Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated knowledge of budgeting and monitoring.
- Knowledge of applicable legislation, bylaws, legal proceedings and the ability to interpret legislation such as Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Employment Standards Act.
- Current certification in Standard First Aid and CPR-C.
- Class G Driver’s Licence in good standing and a reliable vehicle to use on corporate business.
- Due to the nature of the contacts of this position a Police Vulnerable Sector Check satisfactory to the Town is required.
- Availability/flexibility to attend, work, and organize evening/weekend meetings and events.
Salary: $41.09 - $51.37/hour
How do I apply?
Please apply online at www.newmarket.ca by 5:00 p.m. on November 23, 2023 quoting the file number 23-202.
The Town of Newmarket is committed to accommodate all applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code for all employment activities including the recruitment process. Please no phone calls.
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications
More search results
Director, Public Affairs & Communications
Senior Manager, Marketing, Communications & Brand
Capitalize for Kids
Southlake Regional Health Centre Foundation
Director, Marketing and Brand Strategy
Head, Marketing and Customer Experience
Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)