Marketing & Social Media Specialist
- Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
- Job Category
- Marketing & Communications
- Job Type
Who We Are
At BCIT, putting people at the core of everything we do is paramount. This idea is the foundation of BCIT’s People Vision, which describes the Institute’s goals and priorities in respect to our people. In a complex and uncertain world, it’s vital our people feel valued, supported and connected. BCIT champions a culture of innovation and global progress through people’s imagination and creativity. With a competitive compensation package, great work-life balance, and career advancement opportunities, see why we’ve earned the title of one of BC’s Top Employers for over ten years running.
BCIT’s Library Services Department is seeking a regular, full-time (1.0 FTE) Marketing & Social Media Specialist. This job is responsible for the creation, coordination and implementation of marketing, media relations and communication strategies for all library services and events. Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Marketing & Social Media Specialist develops, implements, and plans media communication strategies that positively position Library Services to internal and external stakeholders; provides marketing expertise in the promotion of a wide spectrum of services; initiates, creates, and executes special events and activities for all campus library services; and supports library administration with messaging and reporting.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Creates marketing strategies and an annual marketing plan that aligns with the Library Services Strategic Plan and priorities. Develops stories, designs and implements new initiatives to promote Library Services, and coordinates events that align with the strategic plan, demonstrating BCIT Library’s values, while building relationships across the Institute’s multiple campuses and programs.
- Proactively seeks information for content creation, and identifies media stories/opportunities; develops and drafts communication materials, including news releases and media event briefs and agendas, speaking notes, library key messaging, and both internal and external website content.
- Manages the Library’s social media accounts and online presence; maintains knowledge of current trends. Creates and edits pages and page blocks as required, consulting with stakeholders for tasks beyond the scope of web composer software.
- Collaborates with Library colleagues to develop and implement outreach activities, communication and events. Plans and executes all Library Services events; supports colleagues and coordinates logistics in promotion and implementation; and recruits, schedules and directs volunteer staff.
- Monitors and assesses the effectiveness of Library Services marketing campaigns, making recommendations and providing support in enacting change as applicable.
- Builds and maintains collection of digital photographs of library events and services; creates impactful physical and digital visuals, and other promotional materials (e.g., handouts/brochures) as requested.
- Collaborates with Student Association, Student Services, Marketing & Communications, Education Support & Innovation, and various Schools on communication, events, and reports.
- Supports Marketing & Communications department with deliverables related to internal and external campaigns, publications, posters, videos, etc.; reviews and approves Library Services information and data for Institute publications as required. Collaborates with Media and Maker Specialists for completion and quality control of marketing deliverables.
- Leads and coordinates Library Services’ participation in BCIT initiatives and campaigns. Initiates and provides support on projects related to student/staff engagement. Explores and recommends new technologies that advance student participation efforts.
- Administers marketing budget for promotional activities, contest prizes and gifts.
- Coordinates library feedback program with Marketing & Communications department; collects and maintains statistics on feedback issues and reports out on trends.
- Participates in Records Custodian training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures (both BCIT and FOIPOP).
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Definition: The qualifications section for this position was developed using the approved job evaluation plan, agreed to between the BCGEU and BCIT. The qualifications represent the minimum qualifications required in the future (i.e. to be reflected in job postings) and do not reflect the incumbent’s existing qualifications.
- Completion of a two-year diploma in marketing or communications, including formal training in digital marketing, technical and creative writing, and HTML.
- Two years of general experience, plus up to four years’ practical, current experience in a similar position, including experience with marketing, communications, and/or events planning.
Software/Computer Application(s) and Expertise:
- Proven experience in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Demonstrated experience with social media applications.
- Experience with content management systems (CMS) software.
- Experience with design software (e.g., Adobe Photoshop and InDesign).
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Strong project management, analytical, organizational, and facilitation skills.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships by exercising tact and diplomacy while delivering the highest levels of customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines and effectively handle changing priorities.
Administrative Skills (e.g. prioritizing, minute taking, wp speed, etc.):
- Thorough editing skills with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability in coordinating events, and taking initiative on operational tasks and special projects.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to work both independently, and as a team member, committed to a collaborative approach in the development of marketing materials.
- Ability to work flexible hours and participate in Institute student recruitment events.
Benefits – Why you’d love working with us
- Competitive pay
- Minimum of fifteen days of vacation
- Competitive employer-paid extended health and dental plan – take a look at our benefit plans!
- Defined benefit pension plan with employer contributions
- Flexible hybrid work arrangements available
- Professional Development funds and resources
- Access to most BCIT Flexible Learningcourses free of charge
- Wellness and Employee Assistance programs
- Complimentary membership with free access to the Fitness Centre, Gymnasium, and more
BCIT values diverse experiences, ideas, cultures and perspectives and is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from members of all groups experiencing barriers to equity. If you require accessibility accommodations during any part of the application or hiring process, please contact RecruitmentAssistant@bcit.ca so we can best support you. Please note that all applications must be submitted via the careers page portal, email applications will not be accepted.
The British Columbia Institute of Technology acknowledges that our campuses are located on the unceded traditional territories of the Coast Salish Nations of xwməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh).
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications