Vice President, Marketing
Why join the Metrie Team?
Since our beginning as a small family-owned business in 1926, we have expanded our offering, honed our craft and cultivated a passion for design and innovation. Dedication to creating high-quality, finely crafted architectural elements has helped us grow to become the largest supplier and manufacturer of solid wood and composite moulding in North America. We are also a leading distributor of interior doors in Canada for the building, retail and construction markets.
We operate five solid wood and MDF manufacturing facilities as well as 26 distribution centers across Canada and the United States. We are able to react to regional needs and provide better, more responsive logistical support through our 1,450 team members across the geographies we serve.
We strive to be a talent-advantaged organization. We recognize that our strength is our people. Built on vision, focus and innovation, we encourage our employees to provide quality products, competitive prices and superior value through visionary marketing, with a customer focus that maintains integrity in a competitive and dynamic market.
What will you be doing in the VP, Marketing position?
The VP, Marketing will report to the Chief Executive Officer and will be a key member of the Operational Leadership Team (OLT). The Marketing team is made up of 20 team members in Marketing Communications, Product Management, Digital, Channel Marketing, and Pricing.
For the last four years, Metrie has been in the midst of significant, transformational change as it seeks to meet its growth mandate. Looking forward, Metrie has identified key strategic initiatives to finalize its strategy/structure and accelerate growth, including:
Build the operating platform for growth
- Finalize operating model and stabilize executive leadership and operating structures to align with Metrie’s markets
- Implement and fine tune management systems and processes to align with future direction of the business
- Re-engineer strategic business and workforce planning processes
Develop and execute on next-level growth strategy
- Expand presence in key markets and broaden product offerings through targeted merger with/acquisition of complementary businesses
- Conduct channel review and identify optimal channel strategy (digital and omni-channel)
- Optimize production footprint and supply chain network in different geographical areas
Invest in culture and talent
- Build a learning organization focused on developing people and understanding customer needs
- Drive a customer-centric, results-oriented culture of accountability that is compelling to top talent and supportive of diversity
- Reinforce unwavering integrity, unquestionable ethics and care for people as fundamental values
- Attract, develop and sustain critical capabilities and talents
- Develop sustainable succession management and a strong leadership bench
- As a member of the Operational Leadership Team (OLT), contribute to the development of the mission, vision and strategic plan for the organization.
- Identify innovative, forward-looking product and service strategies to leverage new market opportunities, capitalize on market trends and address customer pain points, needs, and preferences. Map the strategy to Metrie’s operational and sales capabilities.
- Develop and execute a forward-looking marketing plan, in collaboration with channel leaders and partners. Determines effective capital allocation and tracks results to drive value creation for the business.
- Set the brand strategy for Metrie’s customer brand and collaborates with the CHRO to define the company’s employee brand. Ensures communications, collateral, and promotion strategies are positioned to drive results for channel partners and internal stakeholders.
- Advance the capabilities of the marketing function in collecting, aggregating, synthesizing and deploying market insights to augment decision-making by the OLT/channel leaders/partners in growing the business.
- Develop a digital marketing strategy to shape the customer journey, build engagement, leverage market opportunities, and drive end consumer demand. Monitors outcomes for an appropriate return on investment.
- Define and articulate Metrie’s value proposition to the organization and its customers.
- Lead the development of the long-term Digital Strategy and Roadmap to position Metrie as a category leader in digital.
- Lead the development of the strategic pricing frameworks and participate actively in identifying best practices and gaining alignment with channel partners.
- Build and direct a capable and committed leadership team, ensure the recruitment of key talent at all levels, provide proactive feedback and development, and create a working climate that enables all direct reports to contribute to their full potential. Motivate and mentor mid-level leadership talent with a view to succession planning.
What background will make you successful?
- Experience building and managing a team of capable and committed leaders operating across multiple jurisdictions.
- Has been in a role with some P&L responsibility for 3-5 years, ideally in millwork industry, and demonstrated good business acumen. Understands the different levers for driving profitability.
- Deep experience in foundational elements of marketing including analytics, product development, pricing, strategy, promotions, advertising, public relations, distribution, and leveraging emerging digital tools and technologies.
- Has 5-7 years of experience leading a marketing team in a multi-market and omni-channel environment, including product management and brand strategy. Experience delivering results with limited resources.
- Experience leading a business that operates in a business to business and consumer-facing environment.
- Experience working in a sales function, ideally leading a sales team.
- Experience defining, planning and executing strategies and initiatives that set direction for the business unit and/or organization.
- Has led one or more change efforts from developing strategies to implementation, involving driving results and fostering alignment and buy-in of the organization (e.g. business transformation, culture change).
- Experience with Digital Asset Management and eCommerce platforms, web design, SEO/SEM, web analytics, social listening, and digital demand generation (web, social, community, etc.)
- Collaborative – Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Communicates effectively – Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Cultivates innovation – Creates new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Customer focus – Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
- Develops talent - Develops people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Drives engagement - Creates a climate in which people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
- Drives results - Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
- Ensures accountability - Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments and achieve results.
- Instills trust – Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Strategic mindset - Sees ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Adaptability - Comfort with unanticipated changes of direction or approach.
- Affiliation - A preference for aligning with a larger team or organization toward a common goal.
- Curiosity - Tackle problems in a novel way, see patterns in complex information (quantitative and qualitative) and pursue deep understanding. Problems are examined with a data-driven focus.
- Humility - Seen as courteous, free from self-absorption, and easy to get along with.
- Influence - Enjoy motivating and persuading others.
- Openness to differences - A desire to consider and explore differences in perspective, thought, and experience of persons from a variety of backgrounds.
- Persistence - A tendency toward passionate and steadfast pursuit of personally valued long-term or lifetime goals, despite obstacles, discouragement or distraction.
- Risk-taking - A willingness to take a stand or take chances based on limited information.
- Tolerance for ambiguity - Comfort with uncertainty, vague, or contradictory information that prevents a clear understanding or direction.
- Trust - An expectation of honesty and forthrightness on the part of oneself and others.
How to submit your interest?
To apply for this exciting opportunity at Metrie, please submit your resume to our Human Resources team in confidence by clicking "Apply". While we greatly appreciate your interest and application, please be advised that we will only be responding to candidates selected for further consideration.
Metrie is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer.
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications