Associate Director, Martech, Brand and User Experience (UX) - (990917)
About this Opportunity
The University of Victoria is one of Victoria's largest employers and one of Canada’s best diversity employers. Together we are more than 5,000 dedicated faculty, librarians and staff supporting the University of Victoria’s diverse academic programs, world-class research and commitment to civic engagement.
Job Summary - This role brings a fresh and innovative approach to marketing and communications by ensuring a smooth and positive user experience across UVic’s platforms and brand experiences. The role, with a high degree of mar-tech skills and experience, leverages technology to drive positive customer experiences.
The Director of Martech, Brand and UX oversees all digital media platforms (institutional-level website, social media, email marketing, CRM-oriented tools, dashboards & analytics, asset management, e.g.) including the assessment, procurement, adoption, access, training and management of these platforms.
A key aspect of developing strong customer experiences in a decentralized environment is a strong practice of integrated communities of practice. This role will lead several communities of practice across UVic Communications and Marketing (UC+M) and the institution to ensure brand cohesion across various platforms. This includes training, peer-to-peer support opportunities, policies and appropriate oversight.
As a leader within UC+M, it is expected that the director will develop among their team a culture of experimentation, data-driven decision making and strategic thinking.
This UC+M senior leadership position is responsible for leading the development and implementation of the university social media, mass email, uvic.ca, and other digital media strategies, and for identifying, researching and analyzing digital media opportunities to protect and enhance the university’s reputation in line with institutional positioning, regionally, nationally and internationally.
This position plays an integral role in UC+M’s mandate to communicate UVic’s vision and strategic objectives. They oversee platforms and content and also supervise others, directly and indirectly who do so on behalf of their teams and units.
As a member of the UC+M senior leadership team, this role helps provide guidance and the strategic direction of the department including a key contributor to the institutional integrated marketing and communications plan (IMC plan), as well as the overall leadership and culture of the department. From time to time this role may be required to be the acting Associate Vice President of UC+M when the AVP is absent or unavailable.
This position frequently works with confidential or sensitive information potentially detrimental to the university’s reputation; materials used to make decisions about employment conditions affecting unions, the faculty association and their memberships; and legal and financial details concerning the university’s governance and operations including any liabilities. The related decisions could significantly affect the university’s relationship with key stakeholders including campus constituents, government, external partners and funders.
- Digital Strategy and Leadership
- Data and Analytics Leadership
- Marketing and Brand Support & Service
- Platform Management
- Stakeholder Engagement & Service Work
- Supervision and Leadership
- Budgeting and Administration
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, advertising, marketing, public relations, journalism or relevant discipline or an equivalent level of education training and experience
- Minimum of six to ten years of digital media communications and marketing experience including:
- Monitoring and responding to emergencies and reputational issues with social media
- Developing and implementing institutional digital media strategies differentiated by audience with measurable outcomes
- Developing and implementing institutional digital media campaigns to manage reputational issues
- Tracking the success of digital media campaigns by measuring social media KPIs, Google Analytics, etc.
- Direct supervising of employees to set and achieve goals as determined by department and institutional priorities
- Developing strong working relationships and partnerships, and working collaboratively at all levels and areas within an organization, including at the executive level on confidential or public issues
- Platform management across the digital ecosystem including social media, email platforms, media monitoring, digital asset management, websites, e.g.
Knowledge requirements include:
- Strategic use of digital media platforms, (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, Mailchimp, etc.) and online social media advertising platforms (e.g. Facebook Ads Manager, Google Ads and LinkedIn Ads Manager), understanding of the demographics, behavior and conventions of their respective participants, and how each platform can be optimally deployed in different scenarios to achieve an organization’s goals and objectives. Understanding of related legislation and risks
- Social media marketing campaign management optimization practices across Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and other social media applications for large, decentralized institutions
- Website best practices including user-experience, API integrations, analytics, accessibility legislation and practices, and SEO (search engine optimization)
- Familiarity with post-secondary education structure and culture
- Leadership including coaching, training and teambuilding
- Key job-specific competencies:
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan at a strategic level with measurable outcomes
- Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks with constantly shifting priorities on strict deadlines
- Ability to think clearly and operate effectively under stress and in ongoing intense situations
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good judgement and the ability to respond in stressful situations with political sensitivity, diplomacy and tact
- Proven track record of effective leadership and the ability to inspire others
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to establish priorities and to work on a number of different initiatives concurrently
- Excellent administrative, project management, teamwork, planning, and organizational skills
- Project management skills
- Ability to adapt to new technologies and changing priorities
Unusual working conditions:
This position often requires very short preparation times due to the unpredictable nature of issues, the speed and escalation potential of social media, as well as the position being responsive to executive members on very short deadlines. Work can be intensive for an extended period time during a time of crisis or reputational risk.
There are expectations to achieve goals and absorb constant interruptions as additional goals are either added or changed. Social media is a 24/7 medium and work may occur during the off hours or on weekends with information that needs verification or expansion on short notice and tracking down the appropriate administrator can be difficult.
The position requires the ability to deal calmly with complex decision making during stressful and demanding situations.
Weekend and/or evening calls may happen once or twice a month or more frequently during a time of crisis or reputational risk. Like most management excluded positions, there is an expectation that email is monitored in off hours.
* This position may be eligible for a Remote Work Arrangement.
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications