Branding & Marketing Director
Home to endless skies and boundless opportunities, Grande Prairie is located in the heart of the Peace Region in Northwestern Alberta. The largest urban centre north of Alberta’s capital, Grande Prairie is a thriving young city of over 69,000 with a median age of 32; a full 10 years younger than the national average. Whether it’s parents pushing a stroller, children filling the Eastlink Centre, or families biking on one of the many trails, there are signs of youth everywhere you turn.
Grande Prairie’s youthfulness arises from the exciting opportunities that enabled population growth of over 73% between 2001 and 2021. More than 80 different cultural and ethnic groups contribute to the community which not only serves as a hub for the surrounding area but also as the heart of a thriving regional population of almost 300,000 people. Attracting businesses, jobs, and people is enabled by a well-balanced blend of agricultural industry, strategic location, and diverse wealth of natural resources including oil, natural gas, coal, and lumber.
This diversity provides great opportunity for careers across a variety of industries. In addition, Alberta’s newest Polytechnical institution (Northwestern Polytechnical) serves as the capstone for an outstanding local educational system that facilitates personal and career growth across a full range of opportunities. The community offers an intriguing mix of mid-size city community and big city amenities that is often referred to as “urban without urban grind”.
There is endless possibility for residents to get involved and connected! For sport and recreation fans, there is a wide variety of parks and trails to explore across the city, as well as several state-of-the-art recreational facilities. An exciting and engaged arts and culture community is also very active in venues such as the Montrose Cultural Centre, the Centre for Creative Arts and the Grande Prairie Live Theatre and supported by a multitude of cultural and neighbourhood associations.
With something for everyone, Grande Prairie is the perfect place to thrive!
The Director of Branding & Marketing will be responsible for organizing, refining, and unifying the development of the corporate marketing strategy and delivering on the objectives of the City Council and senior administration. The Director will provide leadership strategic oversight of the City’s marketing initiatives, build, and implement the City’s branding strategy, and lead the marketing and digital media team.
The Director will be called on to provide leadership in public relations, media relations, event planning, social media strategy, public engagement, and marketing campaigns including the positioning of our community facilities as exciting advertising and sponsorship prospects.
We are looking for a highly motivated, results-based individual with a successful track record in marketing management roles.
This individual is a proven leader with previous senior leadership and financial accountability experience, capable of driving a team of high-performing specialists. The successful candidate will be a dynamic, flexible individual proficient in navigating rapidly changing environments while ensuring marketing solutions remain aligned with corporate objectives.
- Directly lead and manage the marketing specialist staff.
- Develop, execute, manage, and reinforce the City’s brand strategy.
- Lead the development and management of the City’s internal and external corporate marketing campaigns, including developing marketing briefs for senior leadership and ensuring corporate marketing campaigns align with corporate strategic and annual plan objectives.
- Lead campaign execution; acts as the primary point of contact for internal/ external agency counterparts, and other partners.
- Create and manage marketing and advertising strategies to maximize revenue and achieve fiscal business objectives through accurate costing and budgeting.
- Establish and enforce marketing standards while seeking out best practices and emerging marketing trends.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communication, Marketing, Public Relations or a discipline related plus a minimum of five (5) years of senior administrative experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with the Municipal Government Act and related statutes is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience working in municipal operations, under applicable legislation; using relevant standards; effective marketing; and policy formation is considered an asset
- Ability to provide strong visionary and pragmatic leadership and accomplished in taking appropriate action and in the delegation of both authority and responsibility where appropriate.
- Strong entrepreneurial, leadership, management, analytical and interpersonal skills with the ability to use tact, diplomacy, and mature judgment.
The successful candidate will be networking locally and beyond our municipal boundaries, building strong relationships internally and externally, creating a sphere of influence that drives economic development and regional investments. Experience in a municipal or public sector setting is considered an asset.
The successful candidate will also have:
- Applied knowledge of executing strategic marketing principles and strategies including but not limited to, branding, media relations, plans, analysis trends.
- Exceptionally strong research, writing, and editing skills.
- Relationship building and networking skills.
- High level of political acumen to navigate the complexities of the position.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and public relations skills.
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to needs related to employees, the management team, Council and the residents, groups and businesses of the community.
- Excellent leadership, collaboration and supervisory skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and exercise appropriate diplomacy and discretion.
- Self-motivated, and able to develop and execute strategy with little or no supervision.
- Ability to develop, interpret, implement and adhere to organizational strategy, business plans, budgets, policies and procedures.
Routinely Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week and after-hours and weekend as required.
A highly competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
“Interested candidates are advised that, while a search closing date is identified for this position, it may stay open longer if circumstances warrant and it may be closed sooner should an ideal candidate express interest. Please do not hesitate to express your interest if that ideal candidate is you.”
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications