Come and join our incredible Journals team!
Here’s our Current Opening:
Position: Inside Sales Representative
Reports To: Sales and Marketing Manager
Location: Dufferin & Steeles area
Responsible for planning and executing revenue-generating sales promotions for the Journals Division. This will include a wide variety of activities targeting new sales opportunities, customer retention, and growth of business with existing customers in regard to journal subscriptions, sales of archives, single articles and single issues as well as advertising sales.
The ideal candidate will have an excellent understanding of how academic electronic resources are selected, acquired, managed, and made discoverable by libraries, and possess a strong customer service orientation along with impeccable interpersonal communication skills and an aptitude for data and numbers.
If you are passionate about sales, have a can-do attitude, and ready to join a results-oriented environment, then this may be the right fit for you!
• Develop and execute sales strategy to new and existing customers
• Assist prospective customers with basic product price quotations, product information, features and benefits, and basic licensing/subscription inquires
• Compile usage and pricing information and provide analysis to assist customers with product selection and purchasing decisions, make product recommendations and increase sales through identifying cross-selling ad up-selling opportunities (e.g., converting print subscribers to electronic subscribers; selling full archives to existing subscribers; continuous promotions to lapsed subscribers)
• In collaboration with marketing team, identify opportunities for new or improved sales material, write content for these materials, and work with marketing colleagues on deployment of information through appropriate channels and media (printed or digital, Powerpoint presentations, website, social media)
• Write/edit messages for customers concerning product or policy updates, new features or titles, and related topics; coordinate with marketing team to deploy messaging through appropriate channels (email, web, social)
• Coordinate a variety of sales projects including preparation of individual institutional and consortium/system-level price quotations (research on participating institutions, past purchase and usage pattern, and application of standardized discounting structures); preparation for customer meetings/visits and other research/reporting tasks as directed
• Maintain contact information for key consortium and institutional accounts, external sales partners, and others critical to supporting customer success
• Maintain excellent customer service and customer relationships to encourage renewals, new and repeat sales
• Tasked with developing creative sales promotions and partnership solutions
Print and online advertising sales:
• Prepare annual, quarterly and monthly sales forecast plans that align with Division’s business plans
• Generate leads and conduct research to identify potential prospects
• Build and cultivate prospect relationships by initiating communications and conducting follow-up communications
• Develop effective and creative media kits with competitive pricing
• Manage invoicing, including reporting on revenue
• As part of Journals Sales and Marketing team, continuously evaluate organization’s competitive advantage and unique selling position strategy, contribute ideas and feedback for marketing messaging and campaigns
• Participate in organizational growth through creative thinking, generating new ideas for customer relationship management, sales support, and customer service
• Conduct competitive research and monitor trends and adjustments in the market/industry so as to capitalize on promotional opportunities
• Assist with library and association conferences, marketing campaigns and events as part of the marketing team
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
• University graduate
• Publishing certificate or equivalent
• A minimum of three (3) years sales experience with demonstrated sales success; experience in periodical or scholarly environment an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
• Results and action oriented, creative and innovative big picture thinker
• Customer/client focused with ability to anticipate client needs; must have a positive and professional approach and be able to present concepts to clients with confidence
• Proven experience in the development, implementation and completion of projects under tight deadlines
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), attention to detail, and time management skills
• Collaborative; flexible in changing situations; thrive in a fast-paced environment; manage multiple projects with ease
• Driven, with a passion to learn, grow, and perform
• Proficient with Outlook, Microsoft Office, and CRM (e.g., Salesforce)
• Business travel required (~15%)
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Journals Team
We are a tight group and enjoy each other’s company. We work in close collaboration with academic editors and associations and manage all aspects of the periodical publishing process. Along the way, we help editors manage the peer review process through our online peer review system; copy-edit the accepted material; handle typesetting and XML tagging, proofreading and printing; sell advertising space in our publications; promote our journals to an international market; process subscriber payments; provide customer service; and mail our journals to subscribers around the world.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications