Manager, Content and Communications
Employment Terms: Full-Time, Permanent
Start/End Date: August, 2019
Founded in 1829, Upper Canada College is a leading independent school for boys SK- Grade 12, located in the heart of Toronto. The College presents a rigorous, liberal education through the International Baccalaureate Programme and broad co-curricular opportunities to engage students, faculty and staff. Our students are motivated and supported by a well-resourced, exceptional faculty, who bring a diversity of experience to an exemplary professional learning community.
The Manager, Content and Communications is responsible for developing and executing compelling content strategies and brand communications that support the College’s Strategic Directions, engage and inform its stakeholders and share the UCC story with a broad audience.
The role is responsible for all things editorial, including establishing brand style and tone as well as writing, managing and editing content for a wide variety of projects (corporate communications, newsletters, news pieces, blogs, donor reports, event presentations and speeches, proposals and cases for support) and audiences (parents, alumni, donors, the general public). This role reports directly to the Director, Marketing and Communications.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, write, edit and produce a wide variety of editorial-based communications that support the College’s Strategic Directions and share UCC’s story to a broad audience (newsletters, news articles, blogs, digital content, recruitment material, corporate reports and other);
- Work with College’s Senior Leadership to write and produce corporate communications that are compelling, capture voice and tone of school, and are a reflection of its unique brand and unique value proposition. Communications include speeches, event presentations, cases for support, donor reports, and proposals;
- Write and/or commission editorial content to enhance UCC’s position as global leader in the education of boys for a variety of media and products;
- Develop and maintain UCC Editorial Style Guide to ensure style and tone are ensure consistently;
- Develop, write, edit and produce regular communications that inform parents and support community engagement (newsletter, resource boards);
- Develop editorial content for UCC’s alumni publication (writing, assigning, editing and researching/fact-checking);
- Develop internal and external communication plans that elevate UCC’s Strategic Directions and leverage understanding of change management best practices to engage audiences;
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships across UCC community to produce news stories that highlight school life and engage and inspire UCC community and external audiences;
- Manage freelance content partners including sourcing, vetting and selecting as well as ensuring adherence to UCC editorial style;
- Manage project budgets.
- Develop and implement editorial content strategy that supports UCC audience journey (from application to student to alumni);
- Develop integrated and coordinated annual/quarterly/monthly editorial calendar that ensures timely content publication and multi-purpose approach;
- Track and monitor audience response to identify issues and opportunities;
- Ensure whole school and Advancement communications reflect Strategic Directions milestones and initiatives (Master Plan, Wellbeing Program and other);
- Establish and lead UCC Editorial Council to continually evolving UCC’s publications (Old Times and other).
- Research, track and evaluate current and emerging editorial and content trends in support of continually evolving UCC’s offerings;
- Develop relationships that enhance College’s brand and editorial content and communications;
- Develop and maintain knowledge sharing relationships with fellow Advancement team members and across College.
- Participate in variety of initiatives that enhance UCC’s community relationships (students, alumni, parents, volunteers);
- Participate in various Advancement cross-functional teams and projects;
- Support content and editorial needs of VP Advancement and Director, Marketing and Communications as required;
- Act as editorial resource for College and Advancement team as needed .
Key Knowledge, Competencies and Experience:
- University degree preferred;
- Demonstrated experience writing, editing and assigning editorial content for variety of platforms;
- 5-7 years of relevant editorial and communications experience; agency experience an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to lead editorial process with various stakeholders including senior leaders, volunteers, academic leads and external partners;
- Extensive experience commissioning editorial content;
- Thorough understanding of editing and production process across multiple platforms (print, digital, social and other) with ability to make recommendations to improve outcomes and process;
- Superior content development, writing, editing and researching skills; journalism experience an asset;
- Sophisticated knowledge of English language (grammar, spelling, punctuation, usage, audience sensitivity) and familiarity with various style guides (CP Style) as well as advertising and marketing styles and terms;
- Excellent organizational, time-management and verbal/written communication skills;
- Demonstrated editorial project management skills;
- Knowledge of print and digital production; magazine production and Blackbaud experience are assets;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including listening, and being empathetic;
- Exceptional tact, diplomatic, influencing and negotiating skills with understanding of the need for strict confidentiality;
- Highly motivated team player with a passion for independent schools and alumni and community engagement;
- Some weekend and evening work required. May require travel on occasion.
Please apply online by creating a “Management & Professionals” profile account by Friday July 12, 2019. We thank all candidates in advance; however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value diversity, encouraging applicants from all qualified individuals. If you are contacted by UCC regarding a job opportunity, please advise us if you require any accommodations.
To learn more about us please visit our site at www.ucc.on.ca
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications