Associate Director, Integrated Marketing & Communications
Associate Director, Integrated Marketing & Communications
Employment Terms: Full-Time, Permanent
Start/End Date: August, 2019
Founded in 1829, Upper Canada College is a leading independent school for boys SK- Grade 12, located in the heart of Toronto. The College presents a rigorous, liberal education through the International Baccalaureate Programme and broad co-curricular opportunities to engage students, faculty and staff. Our students are motivated and supported by a well-resourced, exceptional faculty, who bring a diversity of experience to an exemplary professional learning community.
This incumbent develops, oversees, and analyzes creative marketing campaigns and integrated communications strategies to strengthen and evolve UCC’s brand, in accordance with its Strategic Directions, in support of student admissions and advancement objectives.
With a view across all relevant channels and platforms, this individual provides creative and operational leadership to ensure that communications are on-brand and advancing the institution’s priorities while informing and building engagement, affinity and pride of association among key stakeholders: alumni, donors, parents, students, volunteers and employees.
Capitalizes on emerging opportunities to share UCC’s stories with stakeholders and the general public — stories about transformative learning experiences that foster the development of head, heart and humanity, and encourage every boy to have a lasting and positive impact on his world. This role reports directly to the Director, Marketing and Communications.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Marketing & Communications
- Work with Director, Marketing and Communications to develop and implement long range communication and marketing strategies and plans that share UCC’s story, enhance brand positioning and engage audiences with the College’s Strategic Directions;
- Develop and implement communications and marketing strategy focused on enhancing and optimizing the UCC audience journey (from application to student to alumni) for a variety of audiences at various stages in the lifecycle of engagement (student/alumni, parents, volunteers);
- Work with Director, Marketing and Communications on annual/quarterly/monthly planning and budget process;
- Lead creative and brand development strategies that optimize impact of communications and marketing campaigns and creative across channels; manage external and internal creative partners;
- Work closely with College’s Admission Team to develop and implement insight-driven communication and marketing campaigns to support goals and objectives;
- Work with UCC’s Advancement Team to develop and execute acquisition campaign strategies and tactics, managing creative development and campaign rollouts (personalized donor reports, Annual Fund campaigns, Reunion Giving campaigns, Legacy Giving campaigns) to support goals and objectives;
- Provide direction to and work with Manager, Communications and Content to optimize the delivery of key communications -- selecting and optimizing the channels, design, user experience and reporting capabilities for key communications;
- Develop and implement integrated communications and marketing plans that bring fresh, innovative approach to promoting school events and activities (Association Day, Founder’s Dinner, school events and launches);
- Standardize approach and process for communications and marketing;
- Provide digital strategy leadership, working with Director, Marketing & Communications and providing direction to Manager, Digital Communications.
- Analyze relevant data on UCC audience segments to refine communications and marketing strategies and plans in support of continually evolving UCC’s offerings and brand positioning
- Review school-wide communications and marketing materials for consistency of brand and messaging;
- Create and maintain UCC media database; develop media relations in key territories;
- Initiate UCC media opportunities to invite media and influencers to engage with school (Assembly speakers, events, launches);
- Provide media coaching and interview preparation;
- Plan and track communications and marketing and project budgets;
- Working with Director, Marketing and Communications, helps to manage and direct agency involvement (media plans, creative development, design, PR services, etc);
- Collaborate in the development of integrated and coordinated annual/quarterly/monthly PR plans that enhance brand positioning, profile UCC’s Strategic Directions and capitalize on events, milestones and trends both inside the school community and beyond;
- Develop and distribute regular media updates that analyze tone and coverage as well as competitive and industry coverage.
- Develop relationships that enhance the College’s brand and effectiveness of its communications and marketing;
- Leadership role in supporting communications and marketing team operations and processes; coach and mentor to develop team members;
- Develop and maintain “knowledge sharing” relationships with fellow Advancement team members and across College.
- Participate in variety of initiatives that enhance UCC’s community relationships (students, alumni, parents, volunteers);
- Participate in various Advancement cross-functional teams and projects;
- Support marketing and communication needs of VP Advancement and Director, Marketing and Communications as required.
Key Knowledge, Competencies and Experience:
- University degree preferred;
- Demonstrated experience working with cross-functional teams on communications and marketing strategies, tactics and plans that leverage core strengths of a brand and position it for future growth;
- Experience managing and energizing a range of internal and external advertising, media, promotion and public relations agencies/partners;
- 6-10 years progressively responsible experience in marketing and communications; agency and brand management experience are asset;
- Experience invigorating brands and teams with fresh perspective, ideas and processes;
- Experience developing people and teams, with proven track record of strong collaboration with external and internal partners;
- Ability to think beyond classical marketing parameters to create new approaches and solutions; responsive to changes and trends and proactively shifts priorities to meet these changes;
- Highly collaborative with strong relationship management experience; able to lead informal teams and colleagues;
- Experience with media monitoring tools and media management;
- Knowledge and experience with digital, content and social media platforms; Blackbaud experience as asset;
- Sophisticated writing and editing knowledge; print and digital media production experience an asset;
- Excellent organizational, time-management and verbal/written communication skills
- Ability to anticipate and develop a vision and distinctive strategies for marketing and communications in order to achieve desired outcomes for the school/college
- Ability to assess risks and alternatives to determine the most appropriate course of action
- Ability to engage with all departments to develop marketing and communications strategies that support and meet needs
- Ability to develop relationships with all internal and external stakeholders and the community
- Provides coaching and mentorship and direct supervision to 1-2 team members; provide leadership support across Advancement Department and College as appropriate. school/college constituencies;
- May require travel on occasion and evening and weekend work.
Please apply online by creating a “Management & Professionals” profile account by Friday July 12, 2019. We thank all candidates in advance; however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value diversity, encouraging applicants from all qualified individuals. If you are contacted by UCC regarding a job opportunity, please advise us if you require any accommodations.
To learn more about us please visit our site at www.ucc.on.ca
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications