PICKERING, ON. - Be part of the largest Wish Granting organization in Canada! Enjoy a job that is personally rewarding, and help children enjoy their most heartfelt wish. Children’s Wish Foundation of Canada now has a regular fulltime opportunity for a Communications Specialist in their Ontario chapter Office, located in Pickering, Ontario.
Working in collaboration with the Regional Director of Ontario, this position is responsible for the development, implementation, execution and coordination of all communication activities with a focus on growing brand awareness for the region. This position ensures consistency of message and brand in all communication deliverables while following established policies, procedures and guidelines. Acting as a representative/spokesperson of the Foundation, the Communications Specialist safeguards the interests of the Foundation to achieve/maintain a positive public image.
If you are interested in being part of a growing organization that has a profound impact on the communities across the country, the position of Communications Specialist may be right for you.
- Develops and manages relationships with media outlets, acting as regional media liaison on all chapter(s) and national events identifying local media opportunities, soliciting discounted or gratis awareness and fundraising advertising from media and marketing partners in the community.
- Develops, implements, and maintains a regional internal and external communication plan that is consistent with the national strategic plan and improves public brand exposure.
- Establishes and maintains a large volume and a wide network of external relationships including media outlets, marketing/public relations agencies and various related suppliers.
- Creates media lists, research editorial calendars and other editorial media opportunities, in conjunction with, and support of national media relations activities.
- Manages, organizes and maintains video, story and photo archive.
- Works with national staff on the development and implementation of all communications to ensure the brand and messaging are consistent with Children’s Wish policies, procedures and guidelines with the objective of increasing awareness for fundraising and wish referrals.
- Develop and maintain communication with Ontario donors and key stakeholders through customized content in Ontario focused newsletters.
- Develops new avenues for awareness initiatives within the region(s).
- Coordinates the production of advertising/promotional collaterals for first party events (programs, speeches, Social Media posts)
- Develops and maintains various communication resources for internal and external use (e.g., writing press releases, backgrounders, biographies, newsletters, event materials, advertising, etc.).
- Develops and updates web content & Social Media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) to support events, on-going fundraising activities, stories, etc. to ensure up-to-date and newsworthy information is present.
- Interview families in order to document their journey for use in first/third party event communications
- Works with volunteers, committees and chapter staff as required.
- Works in compliance with the provisions of The Occupational Health & Safety Act in the applicable province of employment and its regulations, and complies with the Foundation’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree or diploma in communications, marketing, public relations or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- 3-5 years of work experience in a communications or related role.
- Experience writing communications plans, strategies and tactics, including media relations, and public relations.
- Proven experience generating media coverage, comfort with persistence in approaching media and confident in dealing with the media and the public.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to build solid relationships with key journalists, internal stakeholders, external stakeholders, wish families, to name a few.
- Attention to detail and accuracy including strong proofreading skills.
- Able to present unique and creative solutions to reaching key stakeholders.
- Positive, can-do attitude and self-motivated with the ability to work well independently.
- Strong organizational, time management, project management, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, resiliency and the willingness and capacity to produce quality results under pressure and to deadline.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook/Sharepoint) and social media channels.
- Working knowledge of platforms the likes of HootSuite, Constant Contact, etc.
- Fluently bilingual in French and English an asset.
- Experience supporting fundraising professionals, major gifts campaign an asset.
- Office environment with occasional requirements to work outside of regular office hours.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is required to fulfill responsibilities.
Physical and Mental Effort
- Works under pressure to meet tight deadlines with a high volume workload, multiple demands and changing/overlapping priorities.
- May be subject to sensitive situations regarding wish children and families
If you are excited about this opportunity, submit your resume and cover letter stating salary expectations by July 24th, 2019 quoting posting details “Communications Specialist, Posting #CW007” in your subject line. While we look forward to receiving applications from qualified candidates, only those identified through the pre-screening process will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please. Children’s Wish Foundation of Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Children’s Wish Foundation of Canada is an Equal Opportunity employer.
About the Children’s Wish Foundation of Canada
Children’s Wish Foundation of Canada is the largest and only all-Canadian wish granting charity dedicated to granting wishes to Canadian children between the ages of 3 and 17 who are diagnosed with a life-threatening illness. For more than 34 years, Children’s Wish has worked tirelessly to grant heartfelt wishes to over 25,000 children and their families – that’s three wishes each and every day, all year long!
Children’s Wish has chapter offices and professional staff in every province, and each wish family is assigned a dedicated Wish Coordinator who is able to personally and carefully structure each heartfelt wish experience to meet the particular needs of the child and their family. Families travel worry-free thanks to exclusive Blue Cross insurance.
Our newly expanded reach, which includes children diagnosed with a serious neurological or genetic conditions, means continued strong wish referral support through our medical community. Wish referrals continue to increase year over year, and we are proud to maintain our 'no waiting list' policy, thanks to our generous donors.
Now more than ever, we are encouraging Canadians to donate and support Children’s Wish Foundation of Canada. You can help grant the next single-most heartfelt wish. Visit www.childrenswish.ca for more information and to donate.
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications