Senior Business Development (BD) Manager
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, is currently looking for a Senior Business Development (BD) Manager to join the Client Relations & Marketing department in the Toronto office.
Reporting to the Chief Client Relations & Marketing Officer, the Senior BD Manager will provide business development expertise and support to assigned portfolios, with the objective of improving the Firm’s revenue, profit and overall profile in the marketplace. In this role, the Senior BD Manager works closely with partners and associates across all offices and the national Client Relations & Marketing team.
As a member of the Client Relations & Marketing team, you will:
- Business Planning – Coach and support assigned lawyers on personal business planning, targeting strategies and related execution
- Research – Conduct complex research and analysis to consider and drive strategic change (i.e., revenue increase or new revenue streams) for assigned portfolios and new concepts or business opportunities[KN1] , including multidisciplinary opportunities; deliver results of research and work with the Business Intelligence team to continuously improve the scope and utility of data and information
- Business Evaluations – Develop quantitative and qualitative analytics to review and support marketing/BD expenditure and investment. This includes profitability, brand and experience awareness, and other dimensions to support continuous improvement in leveraging investment for optimal return
- New Business RFP and Pitches – Work collaboratively with lawyers and the Proposal and Pricing teams to customize content, develop pricing models and help prepare legal teams for pitches. The Senior BD Manager is also accountable for developing pitch strategy and drafting information packages and other client pitch and proposal materials
- Rankings and Submissions – Lead the strategic planning and preparation for key directory and award submissions. Work with Firm leadership to optimize submissions and ranking outcomes
- Industry Associations – Develop plans and itineraries for leveraging assigned industry association memberships
- Events – Work in partnership with the Events and Marketing Technology teams responsible for the conception, planning and delivery of strategic events
- Website and Digital – Work with the Digital team to keep relevant practice area and sector pages updated and develop social media posts and Blakes Insights
- Bachelor’s degree in business/marketing or equivalent is required
- Minimum of five to eight years of BD/marketing experience, working as a manager or in a similar role
- Bilingual (English/French) capability is an asset, but not essential
- Strong Client Service Orientation – understanding of Firm strategic objectives to provide appropriate and responsive service
- Strong Business Acumen – understanding of Firm economic model to develop business case for new investments or initiatives and proactively research and address broader risks and opportunities resulting from key changes in the markets of assigned portfolios
- Communication Skills – excellent verbal and written, with strong presentation skills
- Coaching – ability to provide sound guidance and expertise to team members and various stakeholders at all levels, including coaching assigned lawyers on building online presence
- Interpersonal Skills – supported by a foundation of patience, tact, confidence and the ability to influence key stakeholders
- Adaptability – ability to adapt to multiple areas of law and various demands, deployable to any portfolio within the Firm as needed
- Creative Thinking – ability to share and embrace new ideas as well as to consider creative solutions to challenges or barriers
- Collaboration – proactively engage and coordinate across other administrative departments, leadership and practice groups to deliver on key strategies and initiatives
- Technology – strong proficiency with technology and a willingness to learn and adapt to new technologies as required
- Project Management – ability to map out complex project plans, assigning roles and responsibilities, and manage the project team through to completion.
- BD Budget – work with the BD Director to set annual BD budgets and monitor expense reports
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your application along with a cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we are all about our people. We are committed to not only providing exceptional client experiences, but also fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture for legal professionals and administrative professionals. As a winner of the Canada’s Best Diversity Employers award, as well as the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers award, we know that diversity and inclusion are not simply initiatives on the perimeter of our business — they are the core of our success. We understand the importance of cultivating an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a Firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities and in respect of other protected grounds during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Similar searches: Legal
More search results
Communications & Content Manager
NewAge Products Inc.
Manager, Database Marketing
Canadian Society of Association Executives
Chief Branding and Communications Officer
Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO)
Customer Digital Experience Analyst
Farm Credit Canada
Manager, Communications and Marketing - One Stop…