COMMUNICATION OFFICER, ARTS ALIVE AND NATIONAL CREATION FUND
Competition number: J0921-0314
Department: Strategy and Communications
Status: Full-Time – One-year term
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (35 hours per week) Occasional evening and weekend work
Annual salary: $58,600 - $84,300 (position with benefits and pension plan)
Closing date: October 10, 2021
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
It is the National Arts Centre’s goal to be a more welcoming, inclusive, accessible, and diverse organization for all Canadians. We believe that the basis of this inclusivity requires a socially and culturally diverse workforce and, therefore, we actively seek to recruit candidates who identify as women, Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour (IBPoC), persons from the LGBTQ2+ community and persons with disabilities. We encourage you to self-identify in the recruitment process.
The incumbent may be required to work remotely either full-time or in a hybrid fashion until the end of the pandemic. All necessary working tools needed to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of this position will be provided to the employee for this purpose.
The NAC recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. Therefore, an offer of employment shall be conditional upon receipt of written confirmation that the selected candidate has been fully vaccinated. Certified medical conditions will be accommodated as well as exemptions based on established religious objection.
The above information will be filed in keeping with the Privacy Act.
Canada is our stage.
The National Arts Centre (NAC) is Canada’s bilingual, multi-disciplinary home for the performing arts. The NAC presents, creates, produces, and co-produces performing arts programming in various streams—the NAC Orchestra, Dance, English Theatre, French Theatre, Indigenous Theatre, and Popular Music and Variety. The Centre also invests and nurtures in our next generation of audiences and artists from across Canada. Our vision is to lead and support the renewal of the Canadian performing arts sector over the next three years, as detailed in The Next Act, the NAC’s strategic plan for 2020-2023. Through collaboration and investment in creation, production, co-production, and dissemination, along with a heightened focus on community engagement, learning, and innovation, the NAC will shape a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive future for the performing arts in Canada.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Communications, the Communications Officer for Arts Alive and the National Creation Fund programs is responsible for the overall storytelling for the NAC’s new arts learning platform (Arts Alive), and for the NAC’s major investments in artistic creation through the National Creation Fund. A strong writer and content creator, the Communications Officer will also oversee the development, production and implementation of communications strategies, online stories, web content, social media and media stories to increase awareness of the National Creation Fund and Arts Alive among its key stakeholders, target audiences, and Canadians across the country.
Working in close collaboration with the NAC Learning and Engagement team and the NAC National Creation Fund team, the Communications Officer will plan and create content and stories for dissemination through various channels, including the NAC website, newsletters, social media, reports, and targeted communications to stakeholders.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Leverage strong storytelling skills to create and disseminate engaging content that resonates with target audiences, both educational (Arts Alive) and artistic (National Creation Fund);
- Write persuasive and compelling content, including online stories, newsletters, reports, social media posts, press releases, web content, projects/events credits and descriptions, letters, video scripts and other communications, as required;
- Develop, implement and monitor communications strategies, including impacts and reports;
- Increase national awareness of Arts Alive and the National Creation Fund through earned, owned and social media;
- Work closely with the Arts Alive team and the National Creation Fund team to develop and nurture strong communications networks in order to effectively engage with stakeholders in the NCR and across Canada;
- Plan and execute in-person and online events for Arts Alive and National Creation Fund announcements and initiatives;
- Generate reports and presentations for internal communications purposes, for audiences that include NAC Senior Management and the NAC Board of Trustees.
- University degree in communications, journalism, or a related field and a minimum of (3) years of relevant experience;
- Ability to communicate verbally in both official languages (public speaking, public and media relations) and in writing (copy, editing and storytelling);
- Strong knowledge of social media tactics (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram);
- Ability to draft and conceptualize multiple methods of communication (press releases, web content, newsletters, video scripts, correspondence, etc.);
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work in a team and on occasion, take on a leadership role;
- Demonstrated initiative and sound judgment;
- Astute ability to prioritize, with efficient decision-making and demonstrated ability to work under pressure while managing tight deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and capacity to manage the demands of multiple stakeholders;
- Strong project management skills;
- Creative and analytical thinking;
- Knowledge of the performing arts in general;
- Proficiency in using MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Passionate about the performing arts.
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
All communication will be conducted through email and interviews via videoconferencing. Please ensure to have the most up-to-date information on your resume including your current email address.
If you are a person with a disability and require accommodation for an interview or written exam, please advise us when initially contacted.
The successful candidate will be required to provide the original or a certified true copy of their education credentials as appropriate, along with proof of a valid Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume online through our ‘Careers Opportunities’ website at https://nac-cna.ca/en/careers.
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications