Senior Manager, Content and Communications
The BC Cancer Foundation is the fundraising partner of BC Cancer and the largest charitable funder of cancer research in B.C. Every dollar we raise stays right here at BC Cancer to advance research and enhance care for all British Columbians.
We are a professional, passionate and positive team with almost 80 employees working across 5 sites in the province. We collaborate closely with clinicians, patients and almost 100,000 donors to raise critical funds that drive world-leading innovation and save lives.
Cancer doesn’t stop and neither do we.
About the Opportunity:
The new Content and Communications team is a core function of the Marketing and Communications department. They are responsible for crafting stories, expanding our brand’s reach and elevating BCCF’s reputation.
The Senior Manager, Content and Communications is responsible for leading the team, building our content capabilities, and creating compelling, on brand and highly relevant communications distributed through our owned and earned channels. They understand how to harness the power of deeply meaningful stories, world class thought leadership, and truly collaborative stakeholder relationships, to inspire action and accelerate change.
The content they create at the BC Cancer Foundation will not only connect people to our cause and our brand, it will inspire people to give generously to help break down cancer and save lives.
Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, key responsibilities will include:
- Create and execute a robust content and PR strategy, to increase familiarity, engagement, and trust.
- Build editorial and media plans, in support of Development, Donor Engagement and Marketing campaigns. Ensure we are data driven and insight led, guided by clear audience needs, organizational priorities and channel objectives.
- Find compelling stories, liaising with BC Cancer scientists, oncologists, patients, ambassadors, influencers and donors. Create highly effective and on brand content assets across a variety of formats, including long form, short form, video, presentations, speaking notes, and audio/podcasts.
- Develop deep relationships, with proactive media and influencer engagement across the province.
- Guide and execute an executive thought leadership plan. Train and support Foundation spokespeople.
- Analyse, understand and quickly respond to trending topics. Measure ROI and amplify high performing content, in collaboration with Marketing.
- Develop efficient internal processes to enable an increase in volume and quality of content being produced and distributed.
- Lead and mentor a small but high-performing team, building best in class capabilities.
- Relevant education and minimum of 7-10 years of journalism and content marketing experience
- Success in leading content and communications functions at a large, complex, dynamic and sophisticated organization
- At least 3 years of experience leading and building high-performing teams.
Core knowledge + skills:
- Creative, cause-driven, nimble, comfortable challenging the status quo and have a natural affinity to health and science.
- Strategic thinker, experienced in data driven, audience focused content planning.
- Superior writing and editing skills are essential. Experience in setting editorial direction and crafting personal stories, informative reports on complex topics, and brand messaging, across a variety of formats.
- Solid understanding of media, digital and social platforms, organic search, and content trends. Keen understanding of content and media measurement, optimization and reporting.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with cross-functional, senior and executive leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to adapt and respond to the changing environment and to constructively create opportunities for change.
- Experience and demonstrated strength in leading, developing and motivating a team
- Strong process orientation, phenomenal attention to detail, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- You are a quick learner and approach life and work with positivity, professionalism and passion
This position is normally based at our Vancouver office at 686 W Broadway. In light of COVID-19, the option to perform this position remotely is available until distancing measures are lifted. However, attendance in the office is occasionally required during this period in response to team and business needs.
BC Cancer Foundation is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity & inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, national or Indigenous origin, family or marital status, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation or socio-economic status.
Similar searches: Marketing & Communications