The Business Development (BD) Specialist role joins a centralized team to play a key role supporting BD and Proposal team members in planning, coordinating and executing a variety of marketing and business development initiatives driven by strategic business plans for practice and sector groups, client teams and local markets with a view to attract, retain and expand a loyal client base.
You will be expected to develop knowledge of the Firm’s internal tools and resources and an understanding of the practice and sector groups, clients, expertise and credentials in your portfolio working directly with lawyers on specific assignments.
You will work closely with other members of the Marketing & Business Development team across Canada and globally coordinating efforts, organizing people, disseminating information, improving processes, and tracking progress to support the Firm’s focus on advancing our brand, quality rankings and our position in the marketplace.
- Participate actively in BD team calls and regularly engage with colleagues to share ideas, best practices and to suggest solutions to gaps in service delivery.
- Triage and assign marketing and BD support requests;
Planning & reporting
- Assist BD team members with the development and implementation of strategic business plans;
- Track results and contribute to regular progress reports on activities;
Client acquisition and development
- Facilitate the pitch, proposal and BD opportunity intake process;
- Assist the proposal team and BD team members with the development of pitches, proposals and collateral for practices, sectors and local markets which includes developing the initial draft, formatting and editing, coordinating and participating in internal review meetings, maintaining the deliverables schedule, assisting with content development and harvesting content for the credentials and content databases;
Sector and practice campaign delivery
- Support the implementation of tactical activities driven by strategic business plans working with a wide variety of team members from across Marketing & Business Development on execution;
- Work directly with new joiners to facilitate the lawyer onboarding process including bio development liaising with other marketing and business services functions on execution;
- Research to identify: client contacts for segmented distribution lists; client opportunities for specific markets, conferences and other BD opportunities with direct fit for groups; and speaking and writing opportunities for group members;
- Actively participate in BD meetings for assigned portfolio, booking meeting rooms, preparing agendas, tracking resulting action items and monitoring progress on action items;
- Develop, track and report practice, sector and client information, including but not limited to, pitch/proposal content, representative experience, expertise matrices, activity/event calendars, sponsorship lists and budget activity and ensure appropriate dissemination of information;
- Support the development and dissemination of thought leadership through a variety of communication platforms working closely with the other marketing functions;
- Support the development of submissions for key legal directories, publications and league tables; and other duties as assigned;
- Other duties as assigned.
- University degree or college diploma/certificated, major in Business or Marketing an asset;
- 3-5 years of experience in a business development or marketing/communications role; experience working within a virtual team setting an asset;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an ability to effectively communicate with individuals at all levels of the Firm;
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships, and take direction and criticism in a positive manner;
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills to meet deadlines;
- Ability to absorb new ideas and concepts quickly and to ensure they are clearly communicated to an audience;
- Energetic, self-motivated, and results-oriented;
- Ability to consistently meet the needs of internal clients; including flexibility and perseverance;
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, persuasion, conflict resolution, and relationship management skills;
- Politically and culturally sensitive;
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills with high level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts;
- Commitment to privacy and ethics;
- Experience working with lawyers and other senior stakeholders to develop achievable goals and processes an asset;
- Bilingual (English and French) an asset;
- Demonstrated commitment to privacy and ethical conduct.
Qualified applicants should submit their cover letter and resume by email to:
Human Resources (Toronto)
Dentons Canada LLP
*We thank all applicants who apply, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We believe that diversity and inclusion is essential to the success and strength of our firm. We believe that a proactive approach where we support and embrace our individual talents and differences enriches our firm, our professional practice and our communities. It offers us a broader perspective to foster more creative ideas and greater effectiveness, which enhances our ability to provide our clients with the best possible advice and service. Dentons Canada is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. If you have any accommodation requirements, we will work with you to make appropriate arrangements.