Want to work with Canada’s leading scholarly publisher? Then come and join our incredible Book Publishing team!
Here’s our Current Opening:
Position: Director, Sales & Marketing
Reports To: Vice President Book Publishing
Number of Direct Reports 3
Total Number Reports 16
Location: Downtown Toronto - Yonge & Bloor area
Here’s what you’ll be doing ….
The Director of Sales and Marketing (Book Publishing Division) is a newly created role, that will be a key member of the book publishing core management group. You will provide day-to-day leadership and management of the sales and marketing functions during a transition period whereby the Scholarly Publishing and Higher Education divisions have been merged into one, creating a highly customer focused and action oriented environment. Specifically, you will drive a modern and consistent sales, marketing and digital strategy and continue to focus on growth in e-books. Responsible for the rights and permissions for the book division, the Director of Sales and Marketing will also direct branding and promotion strategies for the Press. You will lead a team of distributed commissioned Sales Representatives in Canada and globally. You are well versed in a range of modern sales and marketing strategies, the successful candidate will possess a proven track record of delivering consistent sales results to exceed targets and objectives. Understands how to take businesses to the next level of performance with the ability to proactively drive organizational and cultural changes to adapt to changing market demands, technology, and internal initiatives.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement strategic sales and marketing plans to achieve or exceed revenue goals in alignment with UTP’s mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Lead the development and implementation of sales strategies and processes that drive desired sales outcomes for each of UTP’s core market segments (Consumer, Course, and Institutional).
- Oversee domestic and international book division sales (annual revenue of approximately $7M) and all aspects of marketing (i.e. publicity, digital and social media marketing, advertising, promotion, and exhibits) within a $740,000 annual marketing budget for approximately 190-200 new books each year and 4,000 active-title backlist. Foster innovative best practices from the broader industry to help increase the brand and reputation, working cross-functionally to ensure that product-related promotional and sales material (print, broadcast, and online) complements Press-wide branding initiatives.
- Leading website maintenance, redesigns and updates, will oversee the dissemination of Press news to stakeholders on and off campus through the Press website, the blog, annual Author newsletter, along with the print and digital collateral material.
- In collaboration with the Vice President, Books, will develop and implement a strategy for digital publication of new content and existing books/reference content through hosting, licensing, and other strategic partnerships.
- Responsible for the sales and marketing budget, will work collaboratively with the Vice President, Books, CEO, and others to establish sales and profitability goals and capitalization requirements. Based on current and future market trends and data, will oversee the establishing of all prices for Press products.
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree, ideally paired with a post-graduate degree.
- 7-10-years’ experience in sales (particularly trade sales) and marketing management preferably in a publishing company.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Demonstrated innovative and entrepreneurial ability to successfully develop strategies that meet UTP’s mission, vision, and strategic goals and is able to thrive in an environment where financial constraints are significant.
- Strategic and innovative, the Director of Sales and Marketing will be able to bring new ideas to the table and creatively seek out subtle opportunities that had previously not been identified.
- Experienced, passionate and engaged leader, will have experience in leading a distributed field sales force including inside and outside commissioned Sales Representatives on a domestic and global basis.
- Relentless and driven, the ideal candidate understands UTP’s revenue drivers and brings focus to where it is needed. A transparent communicator is capable of leading in a highly turbulent environment and explains complex ideas and concepts in simple terms.
- A proven track record in successfully building a corporate brand and can apply skills to the digital world, uncovering non-traditional ways to increase brand awareness.
- A credible, inclusive and confident leader, has a proven track record of building a coaching culture and strong team dynamic. An excellent people person, the ideal candidate has a personal reputation of being an outstanding mentor that is adaptable to their audience.
- A valuable partner and member of the team, the ideal candidate is candid, consistent and passionate who builds trust quickly and inspires the team through actions.
- Self-motivated and extremely engaged in the business, the ideal candidate is excited about UTP’s opportunities and serves as a role model by demonstrating strong leadership capabilities to communicate this excitement and inspire the team.
12-18 Month Deliverables:
- Determine the most effective structure to achieve expected topline revenue growth of 3-5% in 2018 – 2019, including a 5% increase in US revenue.
- Lead an overall revisit of the corporate brand strategy, continuing to build UTP’s reputation in both traditional and non-traditional ways to increase the company’s rankings in the American Association of University Presses (currently ranked in the top ten).
- Develop a key understanding of the different division strategies and cultures, and begin to create an integration plan for Higher Education and Scholarly Publishing resulting in a single inclusive, transparent and collaborative team.
- Foster continuous improvement and innovation, The Director of Sales and Marketing will review the existing digital and social media strategy and take advantage of the new website launch to increase followers, engagement and overall activity by 15% to 20%.
- Review the existing sales and marketing team, developing analytical tools to evaluate the effectiveness of individuals and the collective team. Will assess staff responsibilities, review work expectations with UTP’s goals, and reassign duties as necessary.
- Meet regularly with partners, vendors, customers (i.e. universities, wholesalers, professors, etc.), and distributors to promote positive relations and assess how UTP engages with the Higher Education and Institutional Library markets to improve customer satisfaction and ongoing goal achievement.
- Collaborate with the functional managers to maintain effective communication, establishing new structures and protocols and simplifying processes that enhance alignment across the functions and reduce redundancies. In addition, you will facilitate the training of processes to all new personnel.
- As a transformative change agent, you will conduct research to identify improvements to existing revenue streams (including shifts in revenue patterns) and will identify opportunities for development of new products, marketing channels, pricing models, etc.
The Head: Represents the thinking side of leadership
- Hungry For Results
- Lead in Environment Marked by Acute Uncertainty
The Hand: Represents process and execution
- Brand Management
- Manages Complexity
The Heart: Represents passion, learning and drive
- Challenge The Status Quo
- Values Driven
The Spirit: Represents inspiration and motivation
- Deliver Innovation
- Team Builder/Team Player
Interested in applying?
Please send your resume with a covering letter by October 10, 2017, to email@example.com
Please indicate, Director, Sales & Marketing in the subject line and your salary expectations in the covering letter.
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at the email above or 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.