The Senior Business Development Manager role focuses on driving forward strategic business development initiatives for the Firm with a view to attract, retain and expand a loyal client base.
You will play a key role in pushing forward marketing and business development (MBD) initiatives in Toronto and across Canada while liaising with counterparts in other regions on global initiatives. The focus of the role is to help drive strategic business planning while managing the implementation of those business plans. It’s about coordinating efforts, organizing people, disseminating information, improving processes, and tracking progress with the goal to drive revenue and enhance profile.
This senior level role will focus on providing MBD support for the Toronto office, including the development and implementation of the office go-to-market strategy. You will be expected to develop a strong knowledge of the Toronto office – its expertise, capabilities, lawyers and clients along with the local market.
In addition to supporting the Toronto office and its initiatives, you will be the key point of contact on multiple Firm-wide strategic initiatives. As the go-to BD resource for these key initiatives, you will be expected to develop knowledge of the related industry, the clients, and the groups’ expertise and capabilities.
- Design and deliver a fully integrated strategic marketing and business development plan for the Toronto office and on assigned firm-wide strategic initiatives guided by an analysis of the market, clients, prospects and competition. This includes:
- Managing the implementation of tactical activities driven by annual business plans such as PR and communications outreach, thought leadership, events, sponsorships / conferences, seminars/webinars, etc.; working with team members from across Marketing and Business Development on execution.
- Monitoring trends in local markets/industries and identify innovative products/services that can be promoted through strategic BD campaigns.
- Identifying cross-selling and prospecting opportunities – reviewing pipeline of targets to ensure prioritization along with clear action plans and ownership. Proactively supporting and coaching lawyers in their efforts to develop new clients and new business.
- Supporting the key account program by managing and directing the implementation of business development activities with assigned client teams
- Developing pitches / proposals as required. Requires working with lead lawyer(s) to write content, develop pricing strategies, manage the submission, and organize presentation rehearsals and win/loss reviews.
- Working with Business Intelligence group to establish and maintain intelligence systems.
- Managing the development and maintenance of marketing collateral including digital presence.
- Providing regular reports on group activities and tracking the results reporting on successes.
- Participating actively in the BD team, sharing ideas, best practices, suggesting solutions to gaps in service delivery.
- Coaching and mentoring direct reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University degree or college diploma/certificated, major in Business or Marketing an asset.
- 5-7 years of experience in a business development or marketing/communications role; experience working within a virtual team setting an asset.
- Significant experience managing BD campaigns and initiatives and key accounts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an ability to effectively communicate with individuals at all levels of the Firm.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships, and take direction and criticism in a positive manner.
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills to meet deadlines.
- Ability to absorb new ideas and concepts quickly and to ensure they are clearly communicated to an audience.
- Energetic, self-motivated, and results-oriented.
- Ability to consistently meet the needs of internal clients; including flexibility and perseverance.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, persuasion, conflict resolution, and relationship management skills.
- Politically and culturally sensitive.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills with high level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Commitment to privacy and ethics.
- Experience working with lawyers and other senior stakeholders to develop achievable goals and processes an asset.
- Bilingual (English and French) an asset.
- Demonstrated commitment to privacy and ethical conduct.
Qualified applicants should submit their cover letter and resume by email to:
Human Resources (Toronto)
Dentons Canada LLP
*We thank all applicants who apply, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.