BCIT’s Marketing and Communications department is looking for a regular, full-time Events Specialist to join their team! Reporting to the Manager, Events and Ceremonies, the Events Specialist is a key member of the Events and Ceremonies Office. The Events Specialist is responsible for the management and coordination of BCIT internal, external, government and recruitment events on all campuses. Coordination encompasses all event-related functions from implementation to execution, such as identifying audiences, internal communications, catering, set-up, audio visual, signage, special technology, facilities management, special custodial services, budget, security, and other services. The Events Specialist consults internal stakeholders to establish event objectives, and manages stakeholder relations and development. In conjunction with the Manager, Events and Ceremonies, the incumbent also implements business improvements through developing and establishing critical paths, executive briefs, agendas and procedures for event planning and execution.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists in the leadership and execution of major BCIT events, including but not limited to, convocation, staff recognition events, retirement functions, awards ceremonies, government events, and recruitment events
- Coordinates with internal room scheduling, timetabling, the Student Association, and the executive floor under the supervision of the Manager, Events and Ceremonies to secure space for internal events.
- Oversees and coordinates the physical set-up and tear-down of the conference areas and rooms, ensuring Institute standards of cleanliness and attractiveness are maintained and that stakeholder expectations are met.
- Performs host duties at various special events, such as assisting guests to tables, providing instructions on parking and/or handing out awards.
- Ensures all financial information for events are processed in a timely and accurate manner and invoicing information is forwarded to the Finance department.
- Works within budgetary constraints with signing authority of up to $5,000.
- Undertakes other duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade of this position.
WHAT THIS POSITION HAS TO OFFER:
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a competitive pension plan.
- Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Subsidized parking and fitness facilities.
- Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent diploma in event management or marketing.
- 2-3 years relevant work experience in a related field.
- A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- A team player promoting a positive and professional work environment with a significant record of accomplishment in coordinating large and small-scale events with a multitude of stakeholders.
- Adaptable while maintaining composure and performance levels in a dynamic environment or when experiencing challenges in the workplace.
- Must have excellent organizational skills including planning, coordination and follow- up skills.
- Proven ability to work within a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and still meet deadlines.
- Must be extremely resourceful, detail orientated and have the ability to problem solve and multi-task.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively at all levels both internally and externally.
- Strategic and tactical planning and excellent organization skills demonstrated through ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands.
- Demonstrated track record for strategic execution, problem solving and creativity with an ability to think outside the box.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computing and web applications, including all modules of MS Office.
- Access to a vehicle and ability to work flexible hours, including evening and weekends when required.
START DATE: June 01, 2017.
SALARY RANGE: Grade 7; $46,758 with yearly increments to $50,962 per annum.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 17B108.
OPENING DATE: April 27, 2017
CLOSING DATE: May 6, 2017
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If selected for an interview, candidates will be required to present original copies of credentials.
To apply, visit us online at careers.bcit.ca